Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my SLK into the Dealer today to mount two new rear tires and they told me about a new Service Bulletin (attached). They retrofitted four wiring harnesses on each of the Camshaft Adjustment Solenoids. It applies to all R171's with M272 engines.

It states:"due to the settling properties of the seal, oil may leak from the camshaft adjustment solenoid. Dealers will retrofit four adaprter harnesses onto the engine wiring harness as a precautionary measure at the next workshop visit."

I looked and the harness is basically a six inch wiring extension inserted into the smaller of the two connections to the solenoid. I guess that are just moving one of the components away from the potential oil leak.

Anyway - SCB is attached - just thought you guys may want to know. It's free and should happen the next time you visit the dealer. The SA said that is just came out this week. It applies to over 500,000 vehicles.

Attached a picture of one of the harnesses.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I wonder if they apply these bulletins worldwide (I'm in Spain) or they only do it where thay can suffer a class action..

Will check with dealer though..

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris,
The M272 is the V6 in the R171 - both the 3.0 liter and the 3.5, in the US these are called the SLK280, SLK350, and SLK300. The SCB does not list the R170 or the R172 as being affected. The M273 is a V8 based upon the M272 design, but I don't think any of the SLK55's used this engine, as they all seem to be the M113. The 55 guys will know for sure.

Fromero,
the way the SCB is worded I would expect worldwide, but your dealer will know.

FYI this does not impact the solenoids themselves, or the seal design that causes the oil to leak out, just one of the two wiring harness that attached to the solenoid.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,638 Posts
the 55 m113 had its own version of oil leak with the 'free' trans mount seal replacement

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
The problem does happen on 170. On the 170 230 they will replace the leaking cam adjuster and put in the wire patch. At not cost to owner.
170 (SLK) 2001-2004 / 203 (C) 2002-2004 Service Campaign 2009100001 DEC09 This on USA cars only.

The wire patch is a soild wire that blocks the oil from wicking in the wire loom. The wire loom is twisted wire and will wick old where a soild wire will not wick oil. You can DIY by stripping back the insulation on the wire about 3 to 5 inches and then soildering all the strands in the wire into a solid wire and then reinsulated the wire.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Gene I brought mine in today and they replaced all four sensors as well.
I originally went in for the P0410 (secondary air pump) but the pump worked fine.
The services adviser said the pump was getting too much voltage, they replaced some wires by the SAM and all's good now (crossing fingers)

Enjoy,
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
One good reason to take your car in for service. They have these fixes but do not mail out like they do for a safety recall. Take mine in once a year for service A only each time. All other items I will do or take it to an indy to do.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Took my SLK into the Dealer today to mount two new rear tires and they told me about a new Service Bulletin (attached). They retrofitted four wiring harnesses on each of the Camshaft Adjustment Solenoids. It applies to all R171's with M272 engines.

It states:"due to the settling properties of the seal, oil may leak from the camshaft adjustment solenoid. Dealers will retrofit four adaprter harnesses onto the engine wiring harness as a precautionary measure at the next workshop visit."

I looked and the harness is basically a six inch wiring extension inserted into the smaller of the two connections to the solenoid. I guess that are just moving one of the components away from the potential oil leak.

Anyway - SCB is attached - just thought you guys may want to know. It's free and should happen the next time you visit the dealer. The SA said that is just came out this week. It applies to over 500,000 vehicles.

Attached a picture of one of the harnesses.
Son of a bitch, I think this was the problem I had with my 350 and the dealership could not figure it out. I think the CEL was showing something about the purge valve. They did not notify me about any service bulletins. After an indie discovered the issue, the dealership was willing to fix it at full price. I had the indie do the repairs. The cam magnets and purge valve had to be replaced and the harness cleaned.

·
Registered
639 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,638 Posts
Print out the thread info and proceed to your MB dealer and ask

1 - 14 of 14 Posts