Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
* Registered 2001 SLK230
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Just got a couple of quick questions:

1. Does anyone know the recommended (or what is good) oil to use in a 2001 SLK 230K and what specific spark plugs are used?

2. These are a list of my (new) MOT advisories:
  • Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Front Inner Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Front Outer Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Nearside fuel lines corroded

I will need to get my local garage to do the welding but is this worth while or is it a very expensive job to be done?

As for the brake pipes and fuel lines, is this something I can change over easily if I have the correct replacement pipes/lines ?

thanks,
    Matt

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,173 Posts

·
Administrator (UK)
34,986 Posts
Hello,

1. Does anyone know the recommended (or what is good) oil to use in a 2001 SLK 230K and what specific spark plugs are used?

• Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Front Inner Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Front Outer Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))

I will need to get my local garage to do the welding but is this worth while or is it a very expensive job to be done?

As for the brake pipes and fuel lines, is this something I can change over easily if I have the correct replacement pipes/lines ?

thanks,
    Matt
Note, I am not an expert, so this is based on what I recall others doing.

I suspect it may be cheaper to have those lines made for you, over buying from MB.
But start by cleaning them up and looking for yourself. If they are 'covered in grease or other material' then you want to see for yourself. Folks have replaced these themselves. Ditto fuel line.

Might be worth doing fuel filter at same time.

@Dave2302 & @Delucas may have some good tips for you.

·
* Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG
254 Posts
Since my Crossfire, I have only used Mobil1 oil with a Mann filter
Fcpeuro.com or Needswings.com for ss lines
I have used both and they are great

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,040 Posts
Hello,

thanks,
    Matt
The advisory says that the lines are too cruddy for the nice MOT person to inspect them properly, not that they're definitely faulty. Clean them up and have a look. As others have said it's often cheaper to have them made up for you by an independent.

·
* Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
5,846 Posts
Agree with all the above .............

Plus ................

If it is front to rear pipes, the Rear Subframe has to come out, anything else, like trying to thread them through is a bodge that results in pipe chafing and broken plastic clips ;)

Fuel Pipes, I cut them, (usually just in front of the rear edge of the Floorpan, and make new pipe(s) from there backwards, join to the existing with a brass compression fitting IIRC it's 8mm pipe (may be 10mm). Usually I find that it is only the Fuel Feed Pipe, the Charcoal CAN Purge Pipe next to it doesn't seem to corrode for whatever reason ;)

Now, this structure, where exactly is it rotten ?

If it is a rear Subframe Mount,there will be much structural rot inside the Chassis too, to pay for a proper repair to this will write the car off, get the corrosion assesed by an expert before spending any money is the best advice I can give you, along with this link ....

Start at post # 1500 .............................

·
Super Moderator (UK) 2008 SLK350
1,608 Posts
Since my Crossfire, I have only used Mobil1 oil with a Mann filter
Fcpeuro.com or Needswings.com for ss lines
I have used both and they are great
Hey Bob, I’ve used nothing but Mobil1 for about 25 years. I’ve had it in all manner of sports cars and it’s honestly never let me down. Maybe a little more than others but oil is the one single, critically important component that I’ve never cut costs.

I can never understand why a person buys a great car and expects it to perform at it’s best with an inferior oil!

·
* Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG
254 Posts
Hey Bob, I’ve used nothing but Mobil1 for about 25 years. I’ve had it in all manner of sports cars and it’s honestly never let me down. Maybe a little more than others but oil is the one single, critically important component that I’ve never cut costs.

I can never understand why a person buys a great car and expects it to perform at it’s best with an inferior oil!
Same with gas
Trying to save a dime on CHEAPO fuel

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,040 Posts
Agree with all the above .............

Plus ................

If it is front to rear pipes, the Rear Subframe has to come out, anything else, like trying to thread them through is a bodge that results in pipe chafing and broken plastic clips ;)

Fuel Pipes, I cut them, (usually just in front of the rear edge of the Floorpan, and make new pipe(s) from there backwards, join to the existing with a brass compression fitting IIRC it's 8mm pipe (may be 10mm). Usually I find that it is only the Fuel Feed Pipe, the Charcoal CAN Purge Pipe next to it doesn't seem to corrode for whatever reason ;)

Now, this structure, where exactly is it rotten ?

If it is a rear Subframe Mount,there will be much structural rot inside the Chassis too, to pay for a proper repair to this will write the car off, get the corrosion assesed by an expert before spending any money is the best advice I can give you, along with this link ....

Start at post # 1.500 .............................
And that's not post one point five :ROFLMAO:

·
* Registered 2009 SLK200
5,660 Posts
The 171 can be done no pipe chaffing or broken clips or rear axle removal
though slightly cheaper Kunifer brake bike has to be used for flexibility etc

id imagine the 170 can be done also but need to refresh underside layout if …….

·
5,846 Posts
id imagine the 170 can be done also but need to refresh underside layout if …….
(y) (y) (y)

LOL, I know it can be done ;) .............

That's exactly what our local garages do, I've seen brake pipes held to heat shields with cable ties, bits of mig wire etc etc, even seen an S Class with 2 pipes twisted round and round each other so they support each other just because someone broke the plastic clips which are about 20 pence each at MB .................

Sorry, but no way on Gods green earth at my Workshop ..................

The Subframe comes out on R170's, W220s and any others which need it, or they can take it elsewhere ;)

A lot of other Marquess require Fuel Tank removal etc etc ;)

Reactions: Squishband

·
* Registered 2009 SLK200
5,660 Posts
As said 171 can be done .
Very time consuming with no twists no tight bends ,no damage , no chaffing if holding clips break ( replace )
usage of the newer kunifer aids lots .

in fact a member on here had it done with close inspection / scrutiny by them . 👍👍

·
5,846 Posts
I don't doubt you at all (y)

I will let you know if I would do it in the week, as I have another 171 coming in next week with transmission issues, so will be on lift ;)

·
* Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,857 Posts
Hello,

Try MB Newcastle or MB Swansea for MB 5w40

I've had all 3 of those advisories.

In my case it was caked-on WaxOyl which has presumably been there from new and has just got covered in dust/crap etc. over the years and stuck to it "covered in grease or other material" ~ not a problem per se but not what the ever-increasingly-picky testers want to be looking at :(

Cleaned them up with a selection of wire brushes and copious amounts of brake cleaner - TIP: wear eye protection ;) - and passed the last MOT with a clean bill of health 🤷‍♂️

·
* Registered 2009 SLK200
5,660 Posts
I don't doubt you at all (y)

I will let you know if I would do it in the week, as I have another 171 coming in next week with transmission issues, so will be on lift ;)
If you even thought about doing it you gotta sadly use the cheaper flexible kunifer brake pipe and and a plan of action on how to route it through first .
only thing is towards the front of the slk easiest thing is to join it to existing brake pipe if its in great condition ?
other than that its quite straight forward .

Will save on a huge bill for client .😉😉

·
5,846 Posts
Will save on a huge bill for client .😉😉
On the flip side of that, I am lucky living in a small area with affluent folks who don't mind paying extra to get a job done as per factory ...........

It actually is cheaper for them to come to me, because our nearest city is Inverness, where yes there are loads of cheaper garages and main dealers, that is really their only other option, and so they would then have to drive (minimum) 120 mile round trip, (some of my Skye Customers that would be 240 miles), times 2 with 2 cars, because almost always those Garages need a car for at least a couple of days. Also many who used to do that have reported that the car comes back, something isn't right, then it has to go back ...............

That is why I am fortunate, no one ever questions a bill, they are happy with the repairs, I give a 12 months no quibble parts and labour guarantee, they just pay the piper and keep coming back (y)

I never fit cheap parts, nor parts bought by a customer, I get 1 or 2 warranty claims a year, and that is usually a duff part which is always replaced by the suppliers I deal with, so just costs me a little labour ;)

·
* Registered
1999 SLK230
21 Posts
MOT man has a tool to access brake pipes unless covered in grease (and recorded on advisory) I MOTed a vehicle that was very muddy (I could have refused to test) but they were not local and had to be somewhere that day) 2 hours after mot a brake pipe failed but as I had recorded on the advisories that I was unable to inspect the pipes, no further action was taken. Lesson learned by owner, do not leave MOT till last minute and make sure it is in a fit state to have MOT (Clean wise). Greased pipes were a pain in the proverbial and the practice should be outlawed.

I use Petronas E3000 engine oil but would prefer Castrol but cost make it prohibitive.

·
5,846 Posts
competition is fierce south ways .
Lucky for me i have my Loyal customers
and i Pick and choose my customers .
(y) (y) (y)

Yes, I left SE 15 years ago, myself and business partner owned and ran a busy Auto Transmission rebuilders in Kent, often got someone say "xyz cog boxes can do it for half that", we just smiled and told them "Go there then, but I can assure you that you definitely won't be getting the same quality job, parts and service" ;)

Mel and I moved out of the rat race ;) I do no advertising at all up here, no websites, no facebook, all word of mouth ;)

When we had the Transmission Firm we tried all forms of advertising and media, found that the only thing that really worked was a full page ad in "Yellow Pages", everthing else just produced a plethora of time wasting enquiries from messers who had no intention of paying out more than a tenner ;)
OK, yep, we were a bit more specailised in what we were doing compared to regular garage work like Brakes, Servicing and MOT Repairs, but even so there was a fair few other firms doing it ;)

Like you I have my loyal customers and I too pick and choose, but by and large there are few I would turn away, the Highlanders / Locals are mostly a different breed ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts