Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's do a run based on the one proposed by Tslick below but taking out Ortega on Saturday September 18th.

I've extended the route north of Fallbrook a little bit with a nice loop, and am ending it at Tenaja Rd. Here is the latest route in Google maps. Once we get to Tenaja, we can take Clinton Keith into Murietta/Temecula for food. I propose Buffalo Wild Wings on Murietta Hot Springs (looks like it has a ton of parking), but open for suggestions.

Final meeting place will be at this parking lot in Bonsall at 10:30am. The address is "Mission Road and South Mission Rd", Bonsall, CA 92003. The parking lot is in front of a supermarket called Daniel's Market.

An interim meeting point we'll dub the "South OC" waypoint has been agreed upon for people coming in from the LA area (most of you!) to hook up at before a group drive to the final waypoint. This point is in front of Verizon Wireless, 23718 El Toro Road, Lake Forest, CA 92630 in South Orange County. Folks should plan to show up at this point 9:00-9:15 AM to allow for possible heavy traffic on South I-5.

I've tacked a tentative roll-call to the end of the thread so far where people can sign up.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Tslick led us before at Temecula and we ate at a winery. I haven't been to Idyllwild before. I am open for September (after labor day weekend).

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Of course I'm interested in a run next month, but as of now I can't even say if I'll be able to make it due to an incredibly high work load coming up, plus some social obligations.
Haven't been to any of those places so I don't have an opinion. ;-)

·
Registered
940 Posts
If im free ill attend of course. Knowing me ill probably be in Vegas... again...

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'd be up for drive in the Temecula area. Wineries and/or roads to the east sound good to me. Pretty open on September weekends at the moment :tu:

·
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I'll say tentatively Saturday September 18th. I'm going to scout the Temecula area in the SLK this Saturday to find cool roads to drive. I'm thinking we could make this a one-way type of deal, where we meet somewhere relatively South, then take a drive up North probably to somewhere in the San Bernadino's, eat some place and then everyone can go their own separate ways on the way back. I'll post up some kind of route suggestion by way of Google map by this weekend. Updating the initial post to reflect this plan.

·
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt I'll make it but here's an idea.
Very interesting Tom. That would be more "Temecula West" I suppose, since the entire route is west of 15. For "Temecula East" I was thinking more about something along these lines, although that entire route would probably be too long. I have to say though it would probably be a lot less hot going west vs going east of 15 this time of year. Also easier for the LA/OC folks to get to, and assuming we start in Fallbrook, the drive back North would be easy. I will take this map with me and see what it looks like this weekend.

·
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I did the route suggested by Tslick today. Some observations:

- Most parts of the route there is no way to pass. While there weren't that many cars on the road, I did get stuck behind someone a few times.
- The De Luz section of the run should not be attempted after rain: the road is riddled with "washes" where the road dips to allow water to flow over it. You have to take these dips at 25mph in order to avoid bottoming out. This probably won't be a problem in September unless the rains start early this year.
- I initially missed the turn from De Luz to Carancho, and ended up in Temecula :). This is why these scouting trips are useful I suppose!
- My Mercedes Nav does not know about any of the roads between De Luz and Ortega.
- I scared the crap out of myself on Carancho Rd. Think the "ribbon road" near Santa Ynez that V6 SLK took us on a few months back, except twisty instead of straight. I lost traction cresting a hill one time, while I needed to make a turn at the same time. I'll definitely be taking it easier on that stretch when we do the run with the group.
- It was warm. Got up to 104 on the Murrietta portion.
- There was a sign at the beginning of Ortega saying to expect "major delays" because of road construction going on from 8/28 to 9/28. They don't appear to be working on Saturdays (judging from some other construction further up the road), but if they have one lane shut down it could take a while to pass that spot.
- There was a fair amount of traffic on Ortega Highway. Beautiful road, with great views of Lake Elsenore (see below). This part would probably be mostly for the scenic beauty, not so much for canyon carving.
- Spotted an identical black SLK going the opposite direction on Ortega! :burnout:
- Traffic on the 5 South to get back home was brutal. Took me two hours to get from Capistrano back to my home. This won't affect anyone but me I suppose since all other likely attendees will head north after Ortega.

I propose this parking lot in Bonsall as final waypoint for everyone to gather before the run here. Park in front of Daniel's Market. There's a Jack In The Box behind the market if people need to get a drink. No coffee joint though.

Does someone have a suggestion for a good place to have lunch in Capistrano? Preferably some place we can get to from Ortega without having to get on 5.

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I have a dinner function at 6pm in San Juan Capistrano on sept, 18th. As long as we get home by 3-4pm, I should be able to do this one.

·
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have a dinner function at 6pm in San Juan Capistrano on sept, 18th. As long as we get home by 3-4pm, I should be able to do this one.
I don't think that should be any problem. I started around 12:30, took some wrong turns and still made it to San Juan Capistrano before 3pm. On 9/18, we'll likely start more around 11am so no problem on the time.

Oh yeah, at one spot along Ortega there was a whole bunch of cop cars and rather solemn looking officers. Just found out that someone killed themselves through excessive speed about an hour before I passed that spot. Seems to be a regular occurrence on this road from what I can tell. There's some videos on youtube of motorcyclists on that road that are going at absolutely ludicrous speeds.

Anyways, I've updated the original post with the details of the route, and meeting place. Here's what I have so far roll-call wise. I've added everyone that was tentatively thinking about going. Please add/remove as appropriate:

1. Durkatlon
2. etyu
3. Bleen
4. V8 SLK
5. slkluv
6. Davids88keys
7. Santamonica SLK32
8. Cyberdrakon

·
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I talked it over today with Eddy, and it's probably a good idea to take Ortega out of the run. First of all, it's not a very good "cruising" road because there is quite a lot of traffic. Also, there will be construction going on, so you probably don't want to be on the road unless you have to, with the inevitable construction delays once they take out one of the lanes. Finally if people want to avoid Ortega or I-5 because of the traffic (and take maybe 15 to 91), it's probably not a great idea to end the run right where Ortega meets 5 :D.

So with that said, I cut that part out and end the run at Tenaja Rd. From that point we can then go on to Clinton Keith Rd into Temecula and get some food. Then everyone can head home by whatever road suits them best. To compensate I extended the part in avocado country by adding another nice little loop.

The original post has an updated map to reflect the new route.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Looks good! Looking forward to this drive on the 18th.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,055 Posts
i'm gonna try to make this one! see you guys soon!

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. Durkatlon
2. etyu
3. Bleen
4. V8 SLK
5. slkluv
6. Davids88keys
7. Santamonica SLK32
8. Cyberdrakon
9. Sunnysailer - we hope to see you there -

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just got back from Havasu.. so I'm catching up to the 'happenings'. This sounds like fun but I wont be able to make it. I'll have to catch up with you guys in Vegas.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
1. Durkatlon
2. etyu
3. Bleen
4. V8 SLK
5. slkluv
6. Davids88keys
7. Santamonica SLK32
8. Cyberdrakon
9. Sunnysailer - we hope to see you there -