Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting fellow SLK enthusiasts - it is with great joy I finally take the time to register here at slkworld.com.

February this year I said goodbye to my first car, a beautiful blue 2002 Opel Astra Bertone Cabriolet, as it no longer was capable of attracting woman (by increasing my confidence - I have come to learn that most woman care as much about cars as I care about shoes. A quite "søt og smart jente" from Hokksund made this perfectly clear recently) or performing its main function. It was a premature goodbye, as an incident on Norway's snow filled roads, conducted by yours truly, let to a pirouette of sorts resulting in newfound respect for the board which demanded roll bars to be installed on soft tops - and for the people responsible for creating said roll bars. There were no others cars involved, I was alone, and I was lucky to get out without a scratch.

However, my manhood was severely damaged the very next day. Five minutes after having picked up a rental car, I was overtaken by a woman who clearly found it amusing when she realized it was a young man inside of the ridiculously careful Hertz-mobile.

During the next 6 weeks I was behind the wheel of a pre 2000 MG-F Manual in Fredrikstad, a 2001 MG-F Automatic in Oslo, a 1998 SLK200 in Notodden (where I currently live), and a 2001 SLK200 Kompressor in Stavanger. The SLK200 Kompressor was an easy choice, though I was somewhat doleful to turn down the MG-F Automatic as the owner clearly was a stand up guy who had cared for the car. It also made its mark on my half-student economy.

The previous owner was a Dane. He and his wife had been using the car for one year. Before them it had been owned by a woman who sold it to a Toyota dealership as she had to relocate out of Norway.

I was told on the phone (I called him 1 hour after the listing was posted) that there were no service history for the car. This made me feel uncomfortable, however, it was easy to see on the pictures that the car had been well taken care of. There were barely any "black spots" on the red interior paint, the engine room was clean and the leather seats were in good shape, despite the 172 000 kilometers on the road.

There were also some rust on both front wheel arches. The dreadful sight is quite noticeable compared to the Mercedes 744 silver, but easy to mend. It is a challenge to keep rust away from cars having spent more than 10 of its winters on the Norwegian roads - as the amount of salt on the inner city roads during winter makes you dig up your old middle school notes in order to verify that evaporated water from our surrounding seas are in fact leaving the salt behind. For now I have given it a quick fix with acrylic lacquer, at least making it easier on the eyes, though I plan do fix it properly this (or next) summer.

After having tested the car and quickly going over engine and drive train, I had made my decision. Though I though it would not hurt to try out my negotiation skills. The mentioned rust and lack of service history combined with subtle hints that I am a hard working student, or the more stern approach of mentioning that I had walked away from 3 cars the past weeks, had potential.

But to my surprise, the Dane showed me the service history! It had been placed in the net compartment behind the driver's seat. The Dane had not noticed it before he gave the interior of the SLK its last wash the day before, and neither had the Toyota dealer(!). What a relief. The last service(B!) was at 156500 km. I also double checked that the WDB matched the car, just to be safe. The Dane also carefully mentioned that he had experienced some small coolant leaks earlier, which I should have followed up on.

Anyway, after the service history was revealed, I dismissed my negotiation plans. The Dane readied the contract, and revealed that he had gotten other offers after our phone call which he would not specify - and that I should be satisfied with the price. It was also clear that he would not negotiate, as my signature was the only thing the contract was missing.

So there we have it. A nice start. And for those of you who have made it this far, here is a treat:

One of the deciding factors for me, when looking for a new car, was that almost all the threads about SLK problems I could find, had a good ending! Thanks to you guys. I hope to take part and contribute to the forums in the future. I have ordered a crowd pleasing item, which, if all goes well, I will share with you once I have installed it(~8 weeks).

I have also experienced coolant leak on the SLK, roughly 1 dl per 100 km. Temperature is good. I will take a closer look when time allows, for now I have been searching the forums.

(The pictures are from the listing, taken by the Dane)

-Sebastian Alsaker Bergsvik

Attachments

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,011 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
15,225 Posts
Welcome from central Florida, USA!

Reactions: SBergsvik

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
13,719 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

Thanks for the great introduction! I like hearing about all the good stuff of purchasing a SLK!

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
16,924 Posts
Hi Sebastian, welcome from the North of Scotland. :smile:

Great intro. :tu:

·
Air Suspension Manager
632 Posts
Welcome from Turkey.