Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
each of my R172's seats have a seam that is unthreading. I still have a few months of my MB warranty left. Is this something covered by MB or do I have to hassle with MB to not have it considered "normal wear and tear"?
Complicating matters is that I purchased used and have no idea where it was originally purchased.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,737 Posts
Definitely covered under warranty...workmanship.... get in there quickly

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
I agree with Jeff, if it's still under warranty, go back to MB. In the UK, it wouldn't matter where it was bought from originally... I'd take it to a local MB franchised dealer, and they should resolve the issue and claim from MB directly, under the warranty.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy to report that the local MB dealer is replacing both seats. Ive been hassled by this dealer before so I wasnt sure what to expect!

Thanks for your support!

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,737 Posts
Great! I had called them for you! :D

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Happy to report that the local MB dealer is replacing both seats. Ive been hassled by this dealer before so I wasn't sure what to expect!

Thanks for your support!
Excellent! Actually, this one is a no-brainer for the dealer. It's a warranty issue, so all they have to do is order new seat covers and bill MBUSA for the parts & labor cost.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent! Actually, this one is a no-brainer for the dealer. It's a warranty issue, so all they have to do is order new seat covers and bill MBUSA for the parts & labor cost.
This dealer hassled me about a hydraulic pump failure on my 2004 SL. MB covered it for 10 years but they refused to fix it under warranty after 10 years, 3 months. I shouldve dragged MB into it but the service rep was being a colossal.....<blank> I just took it to the Indy up the street.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
This dealer hassled me about a hydraulic pump failure on my 2004 SL. MB covered it for 10 years but they refused to fix it under warranty after 10 years, 3 months. I should've dragged MB into it but the service rep was being a colossal.....<blank> I just took it to the Indy up the street.
Well, while I won't defend the service rep being a colossal <blank>, there is a difference here. Your SL's hydraulic pump did in fact fail after the warranty period had expired. I'll grant that it's cheesy for a part to fail in that fashion, but nothing is warranted forever. If you had suspected the pump of having problems and asked the dealer to investigate it before the end of the warranty period, then you would have had some leverage from having expressed concern and requested diagnosis prior to the warranty running out.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, while I won't defend the service rep being a colossal <blank>, there is a difference here. Your SL's hydraulic pump did in fact fail after the warranty period had expired. I'll grant that it's cheesy for a part to fail in that fashion, but nothing is warranted forever. If you had suspected the pump of having problems and asked the dealer to investigate it before the end of the warranty period, then you would have had some leverage from having expressed concern and requested diagnosis prior to the warranty running out.
My 2004 SL-500 had total brake failure while driving down the road in 2014. I took it to my Indy who informed me that the SBC(?) pump failed and MB had warranted the part beyond 4 years up to 10 years. If there was a recall, why didnt they remedy it when I took it to them in 2013? Yeah, you are right. Nothing lasts forever esp when you drive a 2 1/4 ton monster with no brakes!

See
http://www.cars.com/recalls/mercedes-benz/sl-class/2004/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts