Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s not much info confirming seat relay location for us RHD owners, so hope this is informative.

The relay is next to the steering column and requires loosening of the lower dash panels to gain access.

The fuse is the black box. Pull it straight out towards you to remove.

The failed solder joints can likely be identified once the relay is dismantled. May as well resolder all of them while you are at it.

The relay is idiot proof and can only be refitted in one orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
There’s not much info confirming seat relay location for us RHD owners, so hope this is informative.

The relay is next to the steering column and requires loosening of the lower dash panels to gain access.

The fuse is the black box. Pull it straight out towards you to remove.

The failed solder joints can likely be identified once the relay is dismantled. May as well resolder all of them while you are at it.

The relay is idiot proof and can only be refitted in one orientation.

Idiot proof you say?

Hold my beer!

In all seriousness though, thank you, great post.

RLander.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,497 Posts
Nice post Rusty :tu:

I'll never get why these things become live on opening of a door (hence warm to the touch on removal) just doesn't make sense to me but hey ho

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you. I really i needed that but I’d rather try and buy a new relay ... I’m not good with solder

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You only really need to melt the existing solder briefly and let it set again. I would have thought any electrical repair shop could do it for very little time or money. A new relay is about £35 on eBay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great post! I wish I had found it earlier as I did this job 2 days ago and it was exactly the same joints that needed resoldering.

Worth stating that when you check for bad joints use your reading glasses and a good magnifying glass as the thin line of the defect is invisible at first glance.

Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts