Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title went in left car locked at dealers it went in for a seat problem, and came out not locking, lights work but no hum from pump I know they have done it (as we had 2 bags in the boot) they say it it came in like that. Grrr
So can anybody tell me are the, seat pump and central locking systems linked in any way ..pump motor? should also say pump cover left off and loose looped wire appeared in the boot?
Cheers
Pjb:frown::frown:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hi,

I can't say for sure, my 02 V6 has no Pneumatics on it's Seats.

My W220, and other MB's I have seen have lumbar and massage functions, and these are definitely connected to PSE.

I have to say this is a very common example of the shocking state of the Motor Trade, (certainly in my (IOS / West of Inverness) area, they all have never heard of "Bring it back sir, and we'll take a look and see if it is anything we may have done" ................. Just want to wash their hands of it once they have taken your money :frown:

They don't give a flying rats etc etc etc :frown:

Sorry I can't be much more help without actually looking at it.

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave you will know where it went they had it to fix lose seat ( they found loose linkage in the tilt mechanism I dont have massage but I do have lumbar) we had to pick it up on a Sunday no one from service there and had to go for the ferry so no choice had to go to ferry with clothes stuffed around the cab no boot entry i have worked that one out now where do you stay?
Pete

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hi Pete,

Inverinate, nr. Eilean Donan.

My bet says they've left a Vac Pipe off somewhere, look under the seat they have repaired first (your Lumbars will work from PSE), or worse still they have broken a pipe or damaged a bladder having it all apart :frown:

When most PSE's detect a leak, they usually put up a "time out" code and shut down for their own safety so they don't burn out :wink:

NOTE that what I am saying there is a general statement, I haven't personally seen a time out on R170, but see it on a daily basis on C Class / E Class / S Class etc etc etc :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Sorry, I don't have lumbar - or any vacuum pipes on my seats.

In fact I don't think I've seen such an option on an R170.

Good luck sorting this out!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Definitely no pse connection to the seats in a 170 but the yellow pipes do run under the carpet!!!
Can you take a picture of the loose wire or what the colours are.

·
Registered
844 Posts
As title went in left car locked at dealers it went in for a seat problem, and came out not locking, lights work but no hum from pump I know they have done it (as we had 2 bags in the boot) they say it it came in like that. Grrr
So can anybody tell me are the, seat pump and central locking systems linked in any way ..pump motor? should also say pump cover left off and loose looped wire appeared in the boot?
Cheers
Pjb:frown::frown:

Seat pump? Two of these cars both 2001 SLK320s and no bladders in the seats. The only motors move the seats forward and back, recline the seat back or tilt the bottom cushion.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hi,

Like I said, I haven't seen this option on an R170, but Pete has told me it has Lumbars, he may be calling in for me to advise later this month :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right enough its not lumbar its back rest.

thanks everyone for your input this is a pic of the back right compartment, we've been in there before to change bulbs etc but never noticed this loose cable before. odd.

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
Page 38-40 of the Operator's Manual has all the references to seat adjustment and there is no reference to any lumbar adjustment.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Page 38-40 of the Operator's Manual has all the references to seat adjustment and there is no reference to any lumbar adjustment.
Slightly :eek:fftopic: but I'm glad you referenced that Alex :tu:

'With the driver's or passenger's door open, the power seats can also be operated with the key removed'

I did wonder, explains to a certain extent why the relays burn out ..

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
on CLK55 pneumatic seats are powered by the PSE pump. Mine had a leak and I could hear the pump running constantly!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Slightly :eek:fftopic: but I'm glad you referenced that Alex :tu:

'With the driver's or passenger's door open, the power seats can also be operated with the key removed'

I did wonder, explains to a certain extent why the relays burn out ..

I am not sure I agree with your statement because I have had 12 MB cars in my life and the only seat issue I ever had - which was very minor - was the auto reset in the 2003 W211 E320. It was a system where I had a key and my wife had a key and with the ignition on it remembered the seat, steering wheel and exterior mirror settings of the key user. With hers which saw her have the seat all the way forward less 1/2" it seemed to stop short of her set point when it moved forward (It moved back all the way when the key was off and the wheel went up to facilitate exit). They would reprogram it and it worked fine for a while so it was software.
All of them allowed the seats to move with the doors open and I never had a relay issue. I think it is an age related thing. After all the youngest of the R170s out there are 15 yr old.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts