Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK200
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is now Summer in Qld, Australia. I have been driving throughout Winter with the roof down. Never missed an opportunity.

Driving with the roof down in Summer, my first since buying the SLK, has my back sweating and clothes wet by the time I reach my destination, half an hour away. Don't want to put the roof up and have the air con on. Temperature have reached around 28 deg C to 32 deg C, so far. Any will get higher.

Anyone have any guidance on how to best approach eliminating or reducing the wetness by using seat covers? I was thinking of using sheepskin seat covers.

Appreciate your input.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
Well it is always hot and humid in Florida and no one says with the top down you cannot put the air conditioning on. Aim at the sweaty parts :D

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,064 Posts
Well it is always hot and humid in Florida and no one says with the top down you cannot put the air conditioning on. Aim at the sweaty parts :D
While driving in Southern France this summer, We encountered temps of 35 to 38'c....
Being British & having so many cold wet days here, the Roof was staying firmed stowed in the boot! :tu:

So "Plan A" was to try & keep the car cool(er) with a Silver Blind for the wind screen.
Link: Halfords All Weather Windscreen Shield
Plus a large white "bath towel" folded up & stored behind drivers seat for dash/steering wheel/seats, depending on the sun direction...!!

Then "Plan B" was to put the Aircon on re-cycling around our feet, on a low fan speed.. >:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
902 Posts
I drive with the AC on. Helps Global Warming I figure.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
So it is now Summer in Qld, Australia. I have been driving throughout Winter with the roof down. Never missed an opportunity.

Driving with the roof down in Summer, my first since buying the SLK, has my back sweating and clothes wet by the time I reach my destination, half an hour away. Don't want to put the roof up and have the air con on. Temperature have reached around 28 deg C to 32 deg C, so far. Any will get higher.

Anyone have any guidance on how to best approach eliminating or reducing the wetness by using seat covers? I was thinking of using sheepskin seat covers.

Appreciate your input.
The problem isn't the car unfortunately. Putting a layer of insulation between you and the seat won't help. It'll make it worse, if anything. You need to keep YOU cool. And that means roof up, air-con on. Sorry.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
146 Posts

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
There's a reason they cut the fleece off sheep during hot weather. The ultimate problem is the heat from outside the car, heating up the driver's body and a layer of fleece between the driver and the seat isn't going to stop the driver heating up and sweating. And then you've got sweaty sheepskin. Lovely!

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
I drive with the roof down and air conditioning on routinely during summer in southern California.
Perhaps one of those aftermarket vehicle seat lumbar support that is made of netting? They are inexpensive and cost roughly USD $2.00.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Loved by taxi drivers who ply their trade in hot climes - the beaded seat cover. Literally the cool accessory in the 70's & 80's.
I recently bought a set from Halfords (UK car accessory store) as the beads help to massage my bad back & of course my back & trunk are suspended from the seat cover itself thus allowing air to circulate.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
146 Posts
There's a reason they cut the fleece off sheep during hot weather. The ultimate problem is the heat from outside the car, heating up the driver's body and a layer of fleece between the driver and the seat isn't going to stop the driver heating up and sweating. And then you've got sweaty sheepskin. Lovely!
Here in OZ where it's, you know, hot, sheepskin seat covers are extremely popular. The primary reason they shear sheep is to sell the wool, it's not really for the sheeps comfort. Why sheepskin keeps you cool in summer

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Here in OZ where it's, you know, hot, sheepskin seat covers are extremely popular. The primary reason they shear sheep is to sell the wool, it's not really for the sheeps comfort. Why sheepskin keeps you cool in summer
Strangely, in Oz, where it is, you know, hot, white cars are very popular because they reflect the heat of the sun better and hardtops are also the norm because they keep the cold air from the air conditioning in. Australian cars also tend to have big engines so they don't lose too much of their overall power when you turn the air conditioning on. Australia is a long way from Scotland, but an awful lot of my relatives live there and I'm not entirely ignorant of how people live with ludicrous levels of heat on a daily basis.

Fabulous Fleece Company Website said:
Sheepskins are also practical car seat liners that make summer travelling more comfortable for adults - if you are leaving your vehicle in the sun all day, the sheepskin will stop the seat from getting too hot. An added bonus is that it will help protect your car upholstery from fading by the sun.

Of course, you also get the cushioning benefits of a soft supporting sheepskin too, whatever the season and wherever you use it. If the hot weather reminds you of being on holiday, then you definitely want an extra comfortable place to sit and relax!
So apart from stopping the seat heating up (which the SLK already has heat reflective leather for) and stopping the seats fading (which is a valid point I suppose) and the cushioning the sheepskin seat covers don't help keep the driver cool, which is what the OP wants.

The only benefit of the fleece is it might make the skin of his back move the sweat across the shirt onto the fleece and the moisture might get wicked away into the fleece, but he'll still be sweating heavily from armpits, face, scalp and the front of his body.

It's fundamental physiology. Your body wants to be near as darn it 37C in the middle and that means it's about 22C on the outside. When the sun shines then radiant heat is absorbed into your body (the sun shining on you feels hot) and that warms the body. If the air is also warmed than your skin (more than 22C) then that heat is conducted into the body, also heating it up. The body has a primary mechanism for reducing that heat increase - sweating. Sweating works because when the sweat evaporates off your skin, it cools the skin down. Wrapping the seat in sheepskin will not reduce the amount of heat absorbed by the body so the body will still sweat profusely until it cools down to an acceptable degree.

Anything that increases airflow over the body will increase the rate of evaporative cooling as the sweat is shifted off the skin. So driving with the windows down is good. The air from the air conditioning unit is not only cool, but dry, so it is much more efficient at promoting evaporative cooling than normal air.

The OPs best bet for staying cool in the summer is to cut out as much of the Suns heat as possible by putting up the roof and closing the windows and then turning on the air conditioning which will cool the air in the car and dry it so as to reduce the amount he has to sweat to maintain his core body temperature.

And if they didn't shear the sheep, more would die from heat stress. The wool is the primary product, but the breeds used are not meant to be grown in extremes of heat, so you do have to shear them whether the wool has value or not. It's a bit like getting your dog's hair cut for the summer if you have a long-haired breed like an Old English Sheepdog.

And sheepskin isn't wool. You don't shear the sheep for sheepskin. It's a bit more drastic than that.

What might work is a cooling vest which basically mimics the sweating by wrapping the body in what is effectively a wet towel so the water in the vest absorbs the heat and you don't sweat. F1 drivers use these because they work. I suspect that if sheepskin seat covers worked as well, they would use them instead. :wink:

Arctic Heat - High Tech Cooling Vest & Ice Vests

·
Registered 2012 SLK200
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all that have taken the time to respond. All great ideas, thoughts and suggestions. I purchased a seat lumbar in the end and it does surprisingly work, however only for about 20 minutes Then the air conditioning needs to come on. #FWP . :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.