Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After suffering failure with the washer jets and noticing a crack on the scuttle, I've found a reclaimed replacement and the price was much better than replacing the washer jets alone.

I think it's merely a case of removing the screws, the wiper arms and reconnecting the heater wires and pipework?

If there are any obvious gotchas, please let me know!

And I'll be sure to take a few pics along the way!

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,451 Posts
If you can provide some "detailed" instructions along with the pics when you're done, let us know and we can move this thread into DIY :tu:

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,598 Posts
After suffering failure with the washer jets and noticing a crack on the scuttle, I've found a reclaimed replacement and the price was much better than replacing the washer jets alone.

I think it's merely a case of removing the screws, the wiper arms and reconnecting the heater wires and pipework?

If there are any obvious gotchas, please let me know!

And I'll be sure to take a few pics along the way!
The hardest part could be the taking off of the wiper arms. We've been here before, they either come off real easy or they dont and you'll need a puller :) the rest of it should be fairly straightforward by the looks of it.

·
1,598 Posts
Btw. When you get the scuttle off, clean all of the drains out whilst you're there, you'll see them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... I have Wd40 and pullers (and wire for the drain holes too!) at the ready.

Weather and postal services permitting I'll crack on with this at the weekend.

·
1,598 Posts
Thanks guys... I have Wd40 and pullers (and wire for the drain holes too!) at the ready.

Weather and postal services permitting I'll crack on with this at the weekend.
Nice one :)

If those arms are really stuck (aluminium corrosion), I'd suggest removing the nuts and soaking the shafts with penetrating oil for 12hrs or so before trying again. Boiling hot water straight from the kettle also helps (heat) as does a short sharp shock via a hammer. Don't go through the windscreen.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Hi,

LOL I'm not exactly sure I'd recommend the "Hammer Method" for DIY'er :surprise: :biglaugh:

A useful method I have found over the years, (do not use excess force likely to bend or snap the arm / spindle), pull on the non sprung part of the arm as if to rock it a little on the spindle, usually gets them off in short order :wink:

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
1,598 Posts
Hi,

LOL I'm not exactly sure I'd recommend the "Hammer Method" for DIY'er :surprise: :biglaugh:

A useful method I have found over the years, (do not use excess force likely to bend or snap the arm / spindle), pull on the non sprung part of the arm as if to rock it a little on the spindle, usually gets them off in short order :wink:

HTH,

Cheers Dave
lol I was hesitant to add that and I take no responsibility at all if someone puts a hammer through their windscreen, the shafts are a good few inches away from the 'screen tho ~ care should be taken >:D

Also BTW. It helps immensely to put the bonnet into the service position, something that I take for granted but not everyone's aware that there is a service position.
Once again:
Raise bonnet to standard position.
At the top of the support strut housing there is a button that faces the rear of the vehicle. Press this button all the way home, wiggle bonnet and push up to 90 degrees service position where it will lock in place.
To unlock from service position, press another button that is lower down on the strut housing, approx 6" from the bottom, and lower back to the standard position.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Lazulith blue ????

Looks the same colour as my R170 :wink:

I was gonna say I liked the butt, but then I realised that would leave endless possibilities, soooooo "the butt emoji made me laugh" would be much better :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again... I will try to avoid the hammer method if I can!

Like the bonnet (hood) idea muchly!

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
155 Posts
I might try and install a new alarm myself and had a look at the scuttle last night, my question is do you have to remove the window washer jets separately or will they lift off when you attempt to remove the scuttle?

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
15 Posts
The washer jets and associated plumbing are fixed to the rear of the scuttle panel.
To fully remove the panel, you'll need to release the clamp which secures the washer jet feed.

HTH.
Allan

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
155 Posts
The washer jets and associated plumbing are fixed to the rear of the scuttle panel.
To fully remove the panel, you'll need to release the clamp which secures the washer jet feed.

HTH.
Allan
Thanks for advice, do I need any special tool to release the clamp?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,685 Posts
My scuttle (cowl) was leaking water into the cabin due to a perished seal. When you remove yours, pay attention to these seals, noting their location, especially near the A/C inlet. It's a foam rubber seal and prone to crumble. I completely removed mine and replaced with a proper sealant. It took some effort to remove all the old seal but in the end the new sealant kept the water out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts