Mercedes SLK World banner

October 2010 SCS meet

SCS (SoCal SLKs) Meetup for October 2010

7K views 95 replies 16 participants last post by  Durkatlon 
#1 ·
Following our every other month meet schedule i'm proposing having a meetup on the 23rd or 30th (skipping this weekend since many of you are probably still recovering from last weekend?).

the 3 events i'd like to have done before the end of the year are:
1.) dyno run
cost will be around $100 for 3 runs, it'll be nice to check the health of our engines and to set a new baseline for future mods. you can also check the speed limiter on your car at many dyno shops.

2.) indoor go-karting
either K1 or mb2, this will allow us to bump and scrape around a small air-conditioned track. expect to spend a minimum of $30 for 1 race (usually 12 laps). the more people we have and the more races we have the cheaper this gets BTW.

3.) Mt Wilson run (probably dependent on the weather as snow will start falling in November) this would be medium speed in the beginning, high speed in the middle, and slow sightseeing cruise around the top.

#3 ·
ooh, i missed that post! i would sure like to go, especially to meet up with Tommy Kendall, but i'm busy on tuesdays and thursdays.

#6 ·
You're very much welcome to come, but isn't it a bit of haul for you? Great meeting you this weekend in Vegas by the way!

On the poll, I picked Mt. Wilson although I wouldn't mind the dyno either. There is one within miles of where I live. Which one did you have in mind Edward? I'll probably sit out the Go-Kart since it did a number on me last time we went to K1. Took me over a month to heal my back after I got bumped into the wall. Getting older sucks.

#7 ·
I picked both Mt Wilson and go-kart, although Mt Wilson would be the first choice.

#8 ·
My personal preference: Mt wilson before the weather gets bad, indoor go carting after? Dyno would be interesting but the least of the 3 for me.

I can't make the 23rd btw, company event. If 30th is early enough I can do that, lots of 30th Halloween parties this year :D

#9 ·
I'm up for any of these, Mt Wilson being my first choice though.
Might not be able to make it on the 23rd since my car's on the shop... said it may take up to two weeks but you never know... :-(

Btw, there's usually a lot of CHPs around the Angel's Crest... FYI...

#10 ·
My poll choice was the dyno, as it is something I want to do anyhow before I make engine mods.

BUT, I am up for karts or a Mt Wilson drive.

ps: if only a few SLKers want to do a dyno run, I would be up for doing that another day in a smaller group.

I can't make the October 12th kart night with the PL group, but that sounds like fun too.

#13 ·
I guess it's kinda firmed up,
it'll be 30th, Mt Wilson Run
9AM meetup at some coffee shop and have breakfast
10AM start run
1PM Lunch

this is the preliminary drive, about 3 hours total i believe.
i know we discussed some separate roads once we go half way up, please modify the map to reflect that and share the link,
Thanks!
and of course everyone is welcome!

We'll do the Dyno in November sometime, and the karting in December then?

#26 ·
Where should we meet for coffee and breakfast at 9am?

#15 ·
3.) Mt Wilson run (probably dependent on the weather as snow will start falling in November) this would be medium speed in the beginning, high speed in the middle, and slow sightseeing cruise around the top.
I'm slightly apprehensive about that being the last weekend of the month, with possible increased LEO presence. I guess we'll see.
We should make this a slow-to-medium-speed cruise where we enjoy the twists and turns without worrying about LEOs and citations, and stops along the way to enjoy the view.

I've never been to Mt. Wilson.

#16 ·
how about we compromise and do a medium-to-medium?

WRT food, picnic? or drive back down for food? or split before lunch?

please start a list of who will show.
1.) Cyberdrakon
2.)

#49 ·
I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately I won't be able to make this one.

Have fun guys and stay safe. :rockon:

#19 ·
That's a shame, Todd... :-( You'll be missed...
I could do the 6th as well, if that's an option. I'm good with the 30th too.

1.) Cyberdrakon
2.) slkluv
3.) Bleen

I propose we have lunch either at Newcomb's ranch or we do a potluck at Mt Wilson's base picnic area... probably Newcomb's would be easier, they've also been in finnancial trouble since the Angel's crest partial closure last year so it'd be nice helping them...

#20 ·
I'm in for the 30th Mt Wilson run, but can also do the 6th, especially if it would give a bigger turnout. I am cool with a slower drive. I was only on Mt Wilson once before, approx 20 years ago, and recall the view of LA from the top was stunning. Lets hope for clear weather! Are there any tunnels on the route? If so, we should videotape clips of everyone's cars coming through the tunnel.

1.) Cyberdrakon
2.) slkluv
3.) Bleen
4.) SantaMonica SLK32

#21 ·
I am tentatively in. OrCo members, please let me know if you want to meet (and suggested waypoint) and then caravan to the 9AM waypoint (when established).

1. Cyberdrakon
2. slkluv
3. Bleen
4. etyu

#25 ·
Yay! finally!

1.) Cyberdrakon
2.) slkluv
3.) Bleen
4.) SantaMonica SLK32
5.) etyu
6.) Durkatlon
7.) mazeka

#27 ·
Well, given the fact that we have to start in Sunland, I looked for coffe in the area and found a Starbucks. It's just a suggestion...

I also added interest points, such as Mt. Wilson's base (awesome views!), the top, and finally Newcomb's Ranch. Feel free to make maps and post links. :)

http://tinyurl.com/27bu3yj

We could also stop here for a short easy hike to an abandoned tunnel. Only issue is that everyone would need forest adventure passes or risk getting a $35 ticket. :-(

On a sidenote, such passes are required if we're gonna park anywhere in this road and walk away from the vehicles. A day pass is $5 and can be bought at REI in Arcadia, Big 5, and other stores... look here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/vendors.php

#30 ·
Thanks for the info Pablo!

If need be, PM me, and i'll pick up the adventure passes for you guys, i intend to get one just so i don't have to worry about it.

#31 ·
updated list so far:

1.) Cyberdrakon
2.) slkluv
3.) Bleen
4.) SantaMonica SLK32
5.) etyu
6.) Durkatlon
7.) mazeka
8.) davids88keys (need to be home by 4:30 tho)
9.) nikech1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.