Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several miniature scratches on my WindRestrictor. Is there an easy way to remove these?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
276 Posts
Windrestrictor

Probably best if Windrestrictor themselves comment on this however I witnessed a factory where they were cutting hard clear plastic which left the cut edges rough and opaque. They fixed this by applying a small blow torch to the cut edge and somewhat miraculously it seemed to slightly melt the plastic which turned it clear again. I guess this might be an answer but if you do try it:

1. take it off the car to do it.

2. don't blame me!!

Good Luck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,117 Posts
I remember a plastic polishing compound I used to use on eyeglasses that helped remove scratches…the WR guys may have something as well..they are very responsive-email them...
 

·
Minion
Joined
·
5,602 Posts
Please send them an email before taking any kind of compound to it to DIY. I'm positive they'll have an easy answer for you. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
 

·
AND MABEL
Joined
·
14,057 Posts
A restoration job

I've already posted this under "Mabel", but, as quite a lot of us have these, and they can get scratched, I thought I'd post this here as well to make it easier to find in a search.

I've had my illuminated Windrestrictor fitted on Mabel for about 30 months and lately I'd noticed a build up of what I thought was dust behind it, which was catching the light, and, as there were some fine scratches on it as well (from when I mistakenly let someone else detail her :frown:) I thought it was time to take it off and give it a good clean and polish.

On removing it, I found that the dust had actually scratched the surface, and, in places, it had become quite badly pitted! :surprise:

Luckily I was prepared for this eventuality having already bought some Novus and polishing clothes. Coffee on, and the elbow grease out, I set to work!

The Novus (and caffiene assisted elbow grease :D ) worked a treat. Not a quick job though, took about 3 hours to get the end result. There is still some very faint pitting, but overall I'm delighted with the finish. :tu:

As I figure the problem arose from not taking the Windrestrictor off regularly to clean behind it, I've made a mental note to do so in the future.
I've also placed some black felt behind the mounting points to see if that helps damp them slightly and to try and prevent dust ingress. Time will tell. :smile:
Attached Thumbnails

 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top