·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,433 Posts

·
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A wee bump.

Mabel's back up and running again and I'm looking forward to bedding her new brakes in on this run. :D

Anyone else fancy a day out with Col and I?

·
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wee bump.

Slight change of route.

Col is going to use the A737 to avoid the M77 and it's deadly average speed cameras.

Sorry, that should read .... Col is going to use the A737 because it's a more scenic route. :D

Ayr to Oban

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Ayr/56.4149923,-5.4726945/@56.1288877,-5.1928589,9z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m15!1m1!1s0x486270d070b15e85:0x50c681a0642b5e0!2m2!1d-4.629179!2d55.458564!3m4!1m2!1d-4.7060149!2d55.6616319!3s0x4889cece18dbf28f:0x791c944639e198db!3m4!1m2!1d-4.625656!2d55.7543666!3s0x4889ca7c0de90079:0xdfaf95f5f9441be6!1m0!3e0

I'll be meeting him in the car park in Bowling on the A814 just after the Erskine Bridge on Saturday morning.

If you live in the area (or within travelling distance) and have nothing planned for the day, why not come and join us for the run.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,467 Posts
It's no joke!

:|Davie, will be along again soon with another minor tweak to the route/meeting point for Saturday!

In case anyone was wondering this is not an April fools' day prank!

I'll probably be putting about 1000 miles on my SLK this weekend, can't wait! :smile:

The x-pipe is in and sounding great! >:D

·
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:|Davie, will be along again soon with another minor tweak to the route/meeting point for Saturday!

In case anyone was wondering this is not an April fools' day prank!

I'll probably be putting about 1000 miles on my SLK this weekend, can't wait! :smile:

As Col said, here's the wee tweak to the route. Instead of meeting in Bowling we are now meeting at The Canny Man in Lugton. This involves a slight detour along the A736 before joining the A737.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/55.601744,-4.6492322/55.8102497,-4.5650969/@55.6451327,-4.61568,12z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-4.5606886!2d55.7819192!3s0x48884ab392e530ab:0xa81e920aaf32d9fd!1m0!3e0

Tomorrow is the big day. Hopefully the sun will come out to play, though looking at the forecast we may be seeing some rain. :frown:

The scenery will be magnificent whatever the weather. :smile:

I'm looking forward to hearing the new x-pipe Col's had fitted too. :D

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Hope you both have a great drive out for the day... always good to be out with more SLKs, but can be great fun even if there are only 2 of you!

@Col, looks like you need to update your signature pic again... aren't the tips on the new exhaust black? ;) :D

·
2,467 Posts
Hope you both have a great drive out for the day... always good to be out with more SLKs, but can be great fun even if there are only 2 of you!

@Col, looks like you need to update your signature pic again... aren't the tips on the new exhaust black? ;) :D
Yes they are. No I'm not! Not yet anyway.:wink:

·
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cloudy but dry in Barrhead. Just need to have breakfast, top up Mabel, and I'm good to go. :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Have a great trip boys :laugh:

·
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went out to Mabel after breakfast and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHH ....... A flat rear tyre. :surprise:

Went to plug compressor into socket to pump it up and find that the plug to my Windrestrictor has been broken and pushed in to it. :surprise: (Can only have been done whilst the dealership was valeting the car in my last visit :mad:) Remove the plug and find the socket is now not working, I presume the fuse has blown.

Phone around and find out that no one local has the right size tyre available before Monday. No time to mess about so drive the 500 yards to the local tyre depot very carefully and get them to inflate it after waiting around as they're busy.

I then took Mabel to the other tyre depot in the town and they say they'll see if they can do a puncture repair.

By now I had spoken to Col a couple of times as he was on route.

Tyre comes off and there is nail right in the centre of the tread. I'm just about to celebrate because I know this can be fixed, when he tells me it can't because there was some slight scuffing to the inner walls of the tyre caused by my driving it flat. :crying::crying::crying: They replace the tyre and inflate it telling me they can order in tyres for Monday.

By now it's the back of ten, so I had to phone Col and cancel joining him for the run as I wasn't going to risk it deflating on the road. He is off northwards for the day, so I hope he has a good day.

Meanwhile, since arriving home, I've ordered 2 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 245/35 R18 Y (92) from Black Circles for £270 fitted, which I'll get on Wednesday (the earliest fitting date).

I'll be visiting Mecedes on Monday to see what they have to say about the broken socket. :|

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,078 Posts
Went out to Mabel after breakfast and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHH ....... A flat rear tyre. :surprise:

Went to plug compressor into socket to pump it up and find that the plug to my Windrestrictor has been broken and pushed in to it. :surprise: (Can only have been done whilst the dealership was valeting the car in my last visit :mad:) Remove the plug and find the socket is now not working, I presume the fuse has blown.

Phone around and find out that no one local has the right size tyre available before Monday. No time to mess about so drive the 500 yards to the local tyre depot very carefully and get them to inflate it after waiting around as they're busy.

I then took Mabel to the other tyre depot in the town and they say they'll see if they can do a puncture repair.

By now I had spoken to Col a couple of times as he was on route.

Tyre comes off and there is nail right in the centre of the tread. I'm just about to celebrate because I know this can be fixed, when he tells me it can't because there was some slight scuffing to the inner walls of the tyre caused by my driving it flat. :crying::crying::crying: They replace the tyre and inflate it telling me they can order in tyres for Monday.

By now it's the back of ten, so I had to phone Col and cancel joining him for the run as I wasn't going to risk it deflating on the road. He is off northwards for the day, so I hope he has a good day.

Meanwhile, since arriving home, I've ordered 2 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 245/35 R18 Y (92) from Black Circles for £270 fitted, which I'll get on Wednesday (the earliest fitting date).

I'll be visiting Mecedes on Monday to see what they have to say about the broken socket. :|

Always the way, when you can least do with it.
Sorry to hear your bad luck.

Glad to hear it was not in the middle of a spirited drive later today.
That's the most important thing.

·
2,467 Posts
Such a shame that Mabel had the tyre issue Davie. Can't believe the dealers broke something and didn't have the courtesy to own up, apologise and rectify it! No wait a minute, I can believe it cos it's happened to me twice now!

Me and David had a great run and had some cracking weather. There were a few showers but roof stayed in the boot 90% of the time!

Decided to go a little further north to Glencoe cos Dave hadn't been before. Then we headed back down to Oban where we had a coffee. Got a little carried away and ended up short on time, having to be back in Ayr for Kevin Bloody Wilson and Jenny Talia from Australia!

To make up the time we caught a ferry for part of the return trip. Hardly anyone on these roads so had some fun. Shame there were so many potholes, the roads here are in serious need of some resurfacing work!

Some photos from the day can be found here!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MB.SLK.SLC.172/permalink/233716070366587/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MB.SLK.SLC.172/permalink/233802547024606/

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,078 Posts

·
14,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Such a shame that Mabel had the tyre issue Davie. Can't believe the dealers broke something and didn't have the courtesy to own up, apologise and rectify it! No wait a minute, I can believe it cos it's happened to me twice now!

Me and David had a great run and had some cracking weather. There were a few showers but roof stayed in the boot 90% of the time!

Decided to go a little further north to Glencoe cos Dave hadn't been before. Then we headed back down to Oban where we had a coffee. Got a little carried away and ended up short on time, having to be back in Ayr for Kevin Bloody Wilson and Jenny Talia from Australia!

To make up the time we caught a ferry for part of the return trip. Hardly anyone on these roads so had some fun. Shame there were so many potholes, the roads here are in serious need of some resurfacing work!

Some photos from the day can be found here!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MB.SLK.SLC.172/permalink/233716070366587/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MB.SLK.SLC.172/permalink/233802547024606/
Just so you are aware Col
FB is asking for viewer to log in to be able to view.:wink:
Just typical of my luck just now, went to look at pics and, as Myk says, I need to log in to fb and I'm not on it. :crying:

Glad you were able to show Dave a wee bit of Scotland.

The potholes can be quite serious up here, but I tend to drive round them. :D

Hope Kevin and Jenny were good craic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts