Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received the new scan tool.
Had high hopes it would fill my needs to use on my 1999 SLK 230 R170.
I have both the 16 and 36 pin OBDII connectors. The unit even lists the R170 models and has the Vario Top diagnostic capability,
Unfortunately it will not connect to my version. Get an error message. Trying to contact the manufacture for troubleshooting help. If unable to resolve will try to return.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just received the new scan tool.

Had high hopes it would fill my needs to use on my 1999 SLK 230 R170.

I have both the 16 and 36 pin OBDII connectors. The unit even lists the R170 models and has the Vario Top diagnostic capability,

Unfortunately it will not connect to my version. Get an error message. Trying to contact the manufacture for troubleshooting help. If unable to resolve will try to return.

Having trouble establishing contact with iCarsoft or selling vendor by email and phone.
Only paid $106 including shipping. Also noticed this scanner is not listed on the iCarsoft web site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having trouble establishing contact with iCarsoft or selling vendor by email and phone.
Only paid $106 including shipping. Also noticed this scanner is not listed on the iCarsoft web site

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Just received a reply from iCarsoft Engineering. They currently are in process of developing software for the 1999 SLK 230. The Scan Tool appears to be what I am needing as it even covers the subsystems like the Vario Top faults. It should work on later model SLK cars.
Plan to return this one and wait for a newer model when available.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just had an opportunity to test
the scanner on a Sprinter van, it worked very well. So my conclusion is the tool works on another vehicle but not on the the 1999 SLK

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just received a final reply from iCarsoft in the MB V1.0 scanner. They say the inside OBD2 port is for engine only. They are in process of developing the system software for the 38 pin connector inside the engine compartment. They advised we should return the scanner and repurchase when the new software is available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem with Creader x431 7+ and my conclusion is that it works as a simple obd2 reader but does not function on other systems pre 2006. If you found a comprehensive one that works on pre 2006 with TCM ECU reset capability, please advise.Just needing to get this car out of limp mode without a dealership trip.

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,883 Posts
Hi,

There is a lot of info on the Forum about this, heck, I've done it to death on many occasions :grin:

Anything Sub £1000 is just a generic OBD Code Reader, which is no good on more complex stuff as it does not access all Modules nor all Codes ...............
With many Faults it will just lead it's operator up the "Garden Path" on a "Wild Goose Chase" because the operator thinks he has "No Codes" or just one or 2 when in fact the machine just cannot see them ;)

That is why, for MB's, a £400 SDS Dealer Level system is such good value, and essential for a lot of the Faults an MB will chuck at you ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts