Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the sales of the R172 are going in the UK as I have yet to see one on the road and its now mid-November??

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sorry can't help, but I was wondering about this, too.

I've seen 3, 2 at my local dealer and one at a display at Aberdeen rail station.

Nobody was looking at the SLK at the station-it was next to an SLS!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I have only seen one on the road myself, so still a pretty rare sight it seems. My guess would be that this is quiet time for car sales in general. Leading up to Christmas, a degree of financial uncertainty in Europe etc.. Probably something of a buyers market right now..

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
It's strange, I've seen quite a few in the poor impoverished NE - about 6-7 on the road, plus we have 2 or 3 NE members on here with them - and yet I haven't seen any 'out of the area' whilst I'm on my travels.

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG! We keep getting told that people in the North East have no money! Well there goes that myth...

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,371 Posts
Don,t know about the Uk If the Gypsys don,t buy them who will. LOL i think they drive Audi. As far as here in Phoenix both of my Mb Dealer friends got several R172 in the Showroom and they have been sitting there for over a 100 Days now. I guess 66k is a true Sticker Shock. I have not seen 1 R172 on the Road here in Phoenix but plenty off new Bmw,s from the 1 to the 7 Series i guess free Maintance is really driving Sales for Bmw.

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I assume then, that if the R172s aren't moving (big assumption!!!) Then the distributors of the new or newish R171s will make sure the cars hold their prices.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Well, we went for a test drive in an R172 back in the summer. Told the sales guy we were not currently looking to change our R171 and had just recently changed our VW Sharan for a VW Golf, so any spare 'car' funds had already been used up for this year at least.

A few weeks went by before they were on the phone asking me again if I was interested in a deal, initially for the demonstrator car (a 250 sport with a GBP47k sticker price :O )...

I don't suppose they (MB) are desperate as I think overall MB sales are up this year, but I'm not sure how well the R172 is moving. I don't really want to ask the dealer directly, because he might start to offer me a deal that makes me re-think my position.

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
124 Posts
Round my area, I have seen at least 5 on the road. In the flesh, it is quite a good looking car tbh.
Also have noticed alot of brand new Mercs than any other Marquee brand. The local dealer is £$%^%............and the customer service is non existent so its hard to believe they sold that many.

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There could be a strategy policy being given for the sales of UK R172s based on your message (above) and a quick search of my local distributor.

Hopefulloy this link works:

http://www.lookers.co.uk/mercedes-benz/used-cars/24747/mercedes-benz-slk

If not then the tale of the tape is as follows:
Mercedes-Benz SLK 250 BlueEFF AMG Sport Edition 125 2dr
Price: £47k
Now: 38K (With further incentives to be added I would have thought).

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
There could be a strategy policy being given for the sales of UK R172s based on your message (above) and a quick search of my local distributor.

Hopefulloy this link works:

http://www.lookers.co.uk/mercedes-benz/used-cars/24747/mercedes-benz-slk

If not then the tale of the tape is as follows:
Mercedes-Benz SLK 250 BlueEFF AMG Sport Edition 125 2dr
Price: £47k
Now: 38K (With further incentives to be added I would have thought).

TWO owners, and 1500 miles in 5 months - ???- must have been a Taxi :eek:

·
Registered
766 Posts
TWO owners, and 1500 miles in 5 months - ???- must have been a Taxi :eek:
I would imagine that the first owner would be he dealer, in that it was pre-registered for some reason, perhaps it was the demonstrator.

Having said that, you would wonder why someone would only have a car for less than 6 months.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I would imagine that the first owner would be he dealer, in that it was pre-registered for some reason, perhaps it was the demonstrator.

Having said that, you would wonder why someone would only have a car for less than 6 months.
easy to blame the recession.. or a failed gift to a mistress... :biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I was gobsmacked by the two owner in six months info on that particular car, but if you were to look at the other 172s for sale in the 'Lookers' group for the Southeast (inclusive of Kent) website, you will see a compartively high number of the 172s have one registered owner (assumption the dealers) but have been greatly reduced for 're-sale'.

Some bargains to be had possibly.

For us we're looking for an Indigolite 350 R171 with minimum mileage....which may be available to be off-loaded by a dealer to make room for the 172s

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.