Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had an intermittent roof fault I am replacing the S69/3 switch in my roof underneath the headliner. Having removed the headliner I have traced the cable back through the roof and it disappears behind the seat belt area.

I am assuming that this end which has a connector on it plugs into something I cannot see (Vario roof control module?).

Any advice anyone has to offer regarding access to where this cable plugs into would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,011 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,521 Posts
Having had an intermittent roof fault I am replacing the S69/3 switch in my roof underneath the headliner. Having removed the headliner I have traced the cable back through the roof and it disappears behind the seat belt area.

I am assuming that this end which has a connector on it plugs into something I cannot see (Vario roof control module?).

Any advice anyone has to offer regarding access to where this cable plugs into would be greatly appreciated.
Craig is correct. The switch completes the ground circuit. The switch has two wires that go through connector X23/6. On the other side of that connector there will be two wires, one brown that goes to ground connection W7 in the trunk and the other wire is blue and yellow that goes to connector 19 on the roof control module which is located on the bulkhead behind the seats.

Hope that helps.

·
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure on the r171 , but on the r170 it goes to ground in the boot , behind the side panelling ..
Craig is correct. The switch completes the ground circuit. The switch has two wires that go through connector X23/6. On the other side of that connector there will be two wires, one brown that goes to ground connection W7 in the trunk and the other wire is blue and yellow that goes to connector 19 on the roof control module which is located on the bulkhead behind the seats.

Hope that helps.
Thanks guys for all your comments. Ok I need to locate where the connector plugs in X23/6? Is that also accessible on the bulkhead behind the seats? If so any tips for removing the trim under the roll bars to get access? I have worked out how to remove the side trim where the seat belt is stowed but I could not see where the connector is, as the cable goes underneath some trim.

Thanks again

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,030 Posts
Col - the rear / top trim is pretty easy to remove - I took it off when doing my Parktronic retrofit to fit the rear 'display'

Once the side panels, bolts behind the centre rear speakers and wind deflector are removed, the rear deck pops off..

I didn't recall seeing the roof controller in there (but I wan't looking for it ..)

Attachments

·
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Col - the rear / top trim is pretty easy to remove - I took it off when doing my Parktronic retrofit to fit the rear 'display'

Once the side panels, bolts behind the centre rear speakers and wind deflector are removed, the rear deck pops off..

I didn't recall seeing the roof controller in there (but I wan't looking for it ..)
Cheers Sean, the controller is under that trim, see attached. I don't think the switch S69/3 that I'm replacing plugs into the module directly but is part of a circuit that does. I'm hoping to find the connector underneath that top trim. There appear to be just 2 largish multi-plugs going into the controller and my switch is just a 2 wire plug.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,621 Posts
According to SSM, X23/6 is above the right-hand rear wheel well. You'll have to remove your trunk paneling to access it.

Do you suspect the switch is bad, or are you also suspicious of the wiring?

·
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to SSM, X23/6 is above the right-hand rear wheel well. You'll have to remove your trunk paneling to access it.

Do you suspect the switch is bad, or are you also suspicious of the wiring?
Hi, thanks for your input. If that is the case, then I guess I'll have to fit the new switch with the roof up/closed so that I can remove the trim in the boot/trunk without the roof in the way. Last night I used the "broomstick" method to prop the roof mid position whilst I removed the headliner. Last time I had the roof fail to close there was a stored code relating to the switch in question. Could be the wiring but probably more likely to be the switch I think. Either way this new part will hopefully resolve it.

One thing is for sure, it look's like it's going to be a pig to route the new cable even after dismantling half of the car! :crying:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,621 Posts
You can remove the panels and partition, and put a jumper at the "partition closed" switch. then you can raise and lower the roof. Just pay attention where you lay your tools (don't ask how I know that).

·
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can remove the panels and partition, and put a jumper at the "partition closed" switch. then you can raise and lower the roof. Just pay attention where you lay your tools (don't ask how I know that).
Thanks. I won't ask where you put your tools but I guess there's a story there! :wink:

·
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I have fitted my new switch! Ended up being a massive job having to strip down half the car!

The switch comes with an 8 to 10 feet long cable. The cable runs from the front of the roof down the roof mechanism snakes under the roll bar area and then back out and into the boot behind the rhs trim panel plugging into another part of the loom behind the wheel arch.

To fit it I have had to first strip out the following items and then refit after installing the new switch:

Roof liner
Upright centre console
Both seat belt covers
The seat belt top mountings
The rear parktronic display
The roll bar top trim
The metal bulkhead below the roll bars
The entire boot/trunk liners, 6 bits!
The rear SAM
The trunk partition assembly

This lot took me 7 hours solid! Time will tell if this has solved my intermittent roof fault! Fingers crossed!

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,030 Posts
Crikey..!!!!!!

I'dve been tempted to spice the new switch onto the old wiring .... (with solder & heatshrink etc)

Reactions: Robrowdy

·
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Crikey..!!!!!!

I'dve been tempted to spice the new switch onto the old wiring .... (with solder & heatshrink etc)
Yes that thought had occurred to me too at one point but then I thought what if the cable is fatigued from all the folding etc and what if the new switch turned out to be defective? Wouldn't be returnable! Wasn't too bad just time consuming hundreds of bolts, rivets, screws and cable ties!

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Glad you got it fixed , nice work ..I would probably have spliced in , as Sean suggests , but at least you know your car a lot better now !

·
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the Indy would of bodged it too as they only quoted an hour labour to fit it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.