Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty wheel nuts!!!!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  billy610 
#1 ·
Hi all, i m sure i m not the only one here who experienced these tatty oem wheel nuts, i had my car for over 3 weeks, seen that problem within first 5 minutes when i viewed the car before purchased...
Anyway i ve made a visit to my local MB dealer, parts dept. Explain the problem, He doesn't look a hint of surprised, i ve also asked, if they do any stud cover like Vw/Audi...yes u guess it, its a NO lol, basically its a new 16 studs plus locking studs!!!!
Then i went to the used car forecourt to check out whats their quality approved used car looks.... I was stunt to find most of them got the same unsolved problem !!!!
So i ve decided NOT to purchase new studs, instead i do these....

#3 ·
Very cheap n easy few DIY steps can be done at your own drive way without any jack.. stuffs needed are:- small wire brush, WD40, wet/dry sand paper i used 320 grit, small can of hammerite or any metal spray can, some cloths,and old shoe box..heat gun/hair dryer... with few easy steps as follow:-
1. Remove 1x wheel nut from each wheels at time
2, clean the entire stud inc.thread with wire brush+wd40
3. wet/dry+wd40 the entire bolt until you starting to see "silver"
note:- i ve only spend about 2/3 minutes for step2+3
4. The top of the hex has to be clean with carb/brake cleaner n wipe clean with cloths to achieve best paint finish
5. old shoe box with 4 holes (can stab by using wheel bolts )
6. 1st coat of paint...follow by heat gun/hair dryer

Note. To make time efficient, without too much waiting around... i would clean 2 bolts at time n spray 1st coat...then start to clean another 2 bolts, by the time 3rd n 4th bolt ready to paint 1st coat, the 1st n 2nd bolts should be ready for 2nd/final coat at the same time, and so on...

7. Before each wheel bolts refit to wheels, i would suggest to clean all holes up to the taper area, with cloth+ wd40

i hope some or most of you guys would find it useful, also i understand some of you would probably have a better plan than i did, cheers danny

#10 ·
I've used these wheel bolts in the past with great results.

Technical Details
RAD bolts: German manufactured and individually PACE tested
Compliant to DIN EN ISO 898-1. Tempered to strength class 10.9
Dacromet 500A coating provides over 12 times the corrosion resistance than conventional zinc plated bolts (240 hours vs 20 hours salt spray test resistance).
Various bolts are now being produced by RAD with Geomet321+VL coating in compliance to new EOLV regulations (end of life vehicle). Geomet321+VL provides 600 hours salt spray test resistance and the +VL layer is resistant to phosphoric acid based wheel cleaners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.