Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i m sure i m not the only one here who experienced these tatty oem wheel nuts, i had my car for over 3 weeks, seen that problem within first 5 minutes when i viewed the car before purchased...
Anyway i ve made a visit to my local MB dealer, parts dept. Explain the problem, He doesn't look a hint of surprised, i ve also asked, if they do any stud cover like Vw/Audi...yes u guess it, its a NO lol, basically its a new 16 studs plus locking studs!!!!
Then i went to the used car forecourt to check out whats their quality approved used car looks.... I was stunt to find most of them got the same unsolved problem !!!!
So i ve decided NOT to purchase new studs, instead i do these....

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cheap n easy few DIY steps can be done at your own drive way without any jack.. stuffs needed are:- small wire brush, WD40, wet/dry sand paper i used 320 grit, small can of hammerite or any metal spray can, some cloths,and old shoe box..heat gun/hair dryer... with few easy steps as follow:-
1. Remove 1x wheel nut from each wheels at time
2, clean the entire stud inc.thread with wire brush+wd40
3. wet/dry+wd40 the entire bolt until you starting to see "silver"
note:- i ve only spend about 2/3 minutes for step2+3
4. The top of the hex has to be clean with carb/brake cleaner n wipe clean with cloths to achieve best paint finish
5. old shoe box with 4 holes (can stab by using wheel bolts )
6. 1st coat of paint...follow by heat gun/hair dryer

Note. To make time efficient, without too much waiting around... i would clean 2 bolts at time n spray 1st coat...then start to clean another 2 bolts, by the time 3rd n 4th bolt ready to paint 1st coat, the 1st n 2nd bolts should be ready for 2nd/final coat at the same time, and so on...

7. Before each wheel bolts refit to wheels, i would suggest to clean all holes up to the taper area, with cloth+ wd40

i hope some or most of you guys would find it useful, also i understand some of you would probably have a better plan than i did, cheers danny

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,532 Posts
Hammerite them with smooth, Black, Silver etc.
Jeff will probably show his 'Nuts' later....🤣
I painted my Silver a few years ago, they need doing again as they get small chips when you put a socket on them.

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I d suggest blue for yours if you redo them nxt👍🏼 as you got the nicest blue colour 55👍🏼

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,956 Posts
I've had good success with Gorilla products (although I don't know what colours they come in (chrome and black for sure) depending on cost for refurbishing vs replacements

1 - 8 of 8 Posts