Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the same symptom from my previous SLK350 and now SLK55, the oem lugs bolts from Mercedes tend to rust fairly fast, include my neighbor's ML and C class (both 2009 model). I had a 2009 Honda accord and now the bolts are still in perfect condition. Same to my friend's Nissan Altima, perfect bolts even after 3 years.

Wondering what is the reason Mercedes use the bolt that is so easy to rust?

I'll say about 85% of the car I've seen on the street from Mercedes got rusty bolts if the age is about 3 years and up.:confused:
But cars from Honda or Nissan, even after 5 years the bolts will still have zero rust.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
Easy fix is take one bolt off each wheel and clean it up and paint it. When dry put it back on and then remove another bolt and clean and paint. Continue until you have painted all bolts. No need to jack up car as you will have four bolts holding the wheel in place.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I'm with you. It's always fascinated me that they sell a $50-$100,000 car with rusty lug bolts.

Educated Guess. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I did take one Materials class in college 30 years ago.

I'd say that those Germans chose the bolt material for it's tensile strength and ability to handle sheer stress rather than external appearance and the ability to hold a finish.

Fortunately for us there are plenty of American shops that sell chrome versions of the bolts. I have even seen some that sell plastic covers that are really shiny. Thus you can have the strength of the OEM bolts AND the shiny finish our hearts desire !

Here's a great thread on another DIY method.

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/24974-detailing-wheel-bolts.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. Just bought my SLK with rusty bolts. Good to know it's a common problem whether you are in Indiana or UK.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Easy fix is take one bolt off each wheel and clean it up and paint it. When dry put it back on and then remove another bolt and clean and paint. Continue until you have painted all bolts. No need to jack up car as you will have four bolts holding the wheel in place.
I just finished doing this during this past weekend. Very easy fix. I ended up painting mine to match my wheels with

Here are a few pics... and yes I still have to use the "silber spray" to finish touching up the wheels, just that is a much bigger project.

Rusty Bolts

More than half way done

Bolts after two coats of "Silber spray" and one clear coat

Finished product

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
597 Posts
I just finished doing this during this past weekend. Very easy fix. I ended up painting mine to match my wheels with Silber Spray

Here are a few pics... and yes I still have to use the "silber spray" to finish touching up the wheels, just that is a much bigger project.

Rusty Bolts

More than half way done

Bolts after two coats of "Silber spray" and one clear coat

Finished product
Surely you should not paint the threads as it could mess up tourque setting ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The intention was not really to paint the threads, there might be a little over spray on them but I have not had any issues. Seem to be holding tight. If your worried about it simply tape up the threads before you paint yours. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.