Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discoverd some flaking paint on the bottom of one of my arches today...........the surface that faces down..........I got a bit brutal with the others and discoverd rust under the paint on all four.

The cars a keeper so I want the job doing properly.

A local bodyshop said they will need to remove the arches to do the job properly, they remove any rust back to bare metal, apply a rust proof treatment and spray the sides of the car to ensure a perfect match...........the cost is £720 inc vat, they would need the car for a week.

Does this sound like a fair price?

Regards all

John

·
Banned
804 Posts
Is the metal rotted out? If so, then either a new panel or new metal will have to be tig welded in. Can you say expensive?:crying:

If the metal isn't rotted out, then it will have to be cleaned down to bare metal primed and painted. Depending upon the amount of rust, will determine cost. Unfortunately, body shops are notorious for doing crappy rust repairs, because it is very time consuming. The job will look OK, but I guarantee it will rot out again in a year or two. >:D

Surface rust is usually a sign of a lot more lurking. The best analogy is the iceberg! My advice to anyone with any significant rust is to live with it or ditch the car.:crying:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sound's about right, got mine done for £150 per arch although as the arches are twin skinned the rust comes from inside so won't last forever. Depending on how much rust consider wing replacement original front wings are less than £150 from Mercedes and my garage wanted £300 each to paint & fit including fully rustproofing inner surfaces.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The body shop guy spent about half an hour looking at it, he is sure its only surface rust, he's not too worried about the front wings as they are bolt on, he'll take them off to do the job.........the back wings according to him have a poorly constructed joint that traps water................he works mainly on older cars and seems to know what he's doing.
He said silver is shocking to match and if he just does the wings the doors wont look good.........so for not a lot extra he's painting the doors as well
He checked the other usual areas for rust and could find none, fingers crossed!!
Thanks for the input guys

Regards all

John

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,227 Posts
If your keeping the car id remove the front wings and bin them .
Get new ones from mercs
And they at least wont rust for years .

And thats one problem sorted .

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Sorry to hear that John, sounds like yours might be in the period of production that are more prone to rust?

I had a 2001 E Class with rust issues, after complaining bitterly to Mercedes I got a sizeable contribution towards the costs. I know wheel arches may not be strictly part of the structural guarantee, but hey it worked for me. Might be worth a visit to your local mercedes garage, they could check the rest of the car out.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,138 Posts
If the metal isn't rotted out, then it will have to be cleaned down to bare metal primed and painted. Depending upon the amount of rust, will determine cost. Unfortunately, body shops are notorious for doing crappy rust repairs, because it is very time consuming. The job will look OK, but I guarantee it will rot out again in a year or two. >:D
Hi DSSG... I realise you are talking about USA... but I am pleased to say not ALL bodyshops are rubbish....

We have an excellent local independent enterprise.. the guys love cars, love a challenge and are meticulous in getting things done correctly... and they don't charge an arm and a leg... is it any wonder they are on my Christmas-card list..:x (They have a 5 star reputation in this region of France.)

Hi John....you could check with your MB garage .. they may help with costs as previously suggested.. and they should be able to identify exactly what needs doing... after that, make your decision... and you should have the work done by someone you can rely on...:smile::smile::smile:

good luck

Stella

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.