Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, found a small patch of rust on the panel next to the rear window.
Does this panel come out easily for replacement?
Likely repair cost at a body shop?
I was thinking of getting the alloys refurbished, not sure if this takes priority

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Rust repair/replacement is a must. It's like cancer. If I had to choose what should come fist; refurbishing the alloys or taking care of the rust I would take care of the rust. I am not sure what a good body shop would charge in your area but make sure you check their craftsmanship. Ensure they do quality work and just don't cover it up because it will come back and spread if not done right.

·
Registered
248 Posts
On a previous car of mine, not a Merc, that I was preparing for sale there was a rust patch, only surface rust, that I'd merely covered in Kurust and then sprayed over. Not good enough for sale. I had a local chap come out to repair at my house.

I was impressed by the care, time and finish. All for £50, although over 4 years ago now. I'd have been happy to use him for a car I was going to keep.

I don't know if me watching him do it kept him honest.

There was a reduction if one had two rust patches, so with any luck you might find another.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Harvey, I'm gonna let the body shop take a look at it, if it's say £400 for new panels or £60 for a repair that'll keep the rust at bay for a couple of years I'll go with the £60
The cars 13 years old, despite having only 65,000 on the clock I don't think it's worth spending too much on it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Harvey, I'm gonna let the body shop take a look at it, if it's say £400 for new panels or £60 for a repair that'll keep the rust at bay for a couple of years I'll go with the £60
The cars 13 years old, despite having only 65,000 on the clock I don't think it's worth spending too much on it.
I've recently paid £5,200 for a 48k 320 and I've been looking for months. If the condition reflects the mileage then it might be worth £4k privately. I've seen some rubbish for that price. For instance, a 51,000 mile 230 advertised for £4500 where rust from the bonnet fell on my head as I looked at the engine.

As for £400 being not worth it, I've just got an estimate for £450 to replace a switch on my dash. (Sorry if my spelling is bad but my hands are still shaking.)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At least the depreciation isn't costing you much Harvey!!
Get the roof down and give that V6 some revs and you'll have a smile on your face.
Which switch has gone?
Tried a breakers yard?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi, John,

It's the lighting/relay/fuse conglomeration that's gone. Just the one relay but that's too many.

I'm going through the dealer I bought the car from. However, his only obligation is to replace the item with one of equal age and as it is a known fault I want a new one. I've offered to go halves with the switch, which for me would be a little under £150, and for him to fit it.

I await his reply.

Derek

·
*Premium Member
2010 SLK350
278 Posts
rust issues

Hi John,

We have the same rust imperfections on our window panel, also some rust patches on the rear wheel arch lips, our car is a 230, 2002 apart from a few stone chips the body is in excellent condition.
Our family friend garage tell us the car mechanically is as sweet as a nut, just had it serviced with a thorough going over, all lubricants changed, air con recharged and new discs and pads.

Our thoughts are that the car is a keeper, probably only worth about £4000 on a good day but we love it and have decided to take the car to a classic car restoration company and have them advise us on the best course of action to bring the paintwork up to as perfect as possible, if it`s a total respray then we`ll go with that.

·
*Premium member
2001 SLK320
816 Posts
+1 from me

I also have a bubble on the back left window panel, and the lips of all the wings. I'll put new front wings on as that's probably cheaper, and let the body shop handle the rears. I might get a replacement rear screen if I can find one in good nick.

My body shop did a full body treatment on my s210 in 2009 when I bought it, fixing the bad rust on front and rear wings and the leading edge of the roof, and the tailgate. They gave it a three year warranty, and the rust is just reappearing now, 6 winters on. I mustn't complain. Their advice was fit new metal wherever you can, it's the best way. Having said that, the car had been going rusty since it was about 3 years old, so whatever they did was better than what MB did at the factory.:|

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spent a few bob last year on the wings, the body shop said they should last another 10 years, we will see.
I'll get them to take a look at the rear screen panels in the next few weeks

The heart says spend and keep her, the head says get a z4

·
*Premium Member
2010 SLK350
278 Posts
I spent a few bob last year on the wings, the body shop said they should last another 10 years, we will see.
I'll get them to take a look at the rear screen panels in the next few weeks

The heart says spend and keep her, the head says get a z4

Listen to your heart, you only have to look at a Z4 to know, ugly things.:grin:

Reactions: Elmer Fudd

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200
216 Posts
Hello John just an update on my own roof rust. In order to fix the rust the rear screen needs to be removed to fix it properly. I will pick up my replacement second hand rear screen panel on Saturday. Today I removed the rear screen cover panels to have a look at what is involved in replacing the panel. It looks quite simple to unbolt the screen panel, famous last works , and refix the second hand rust free one. However there are some shims holding it in place so I may need to read up about alignment.

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200
216 Posts
This is rust in the screen panel!

A replacement fron ebay for £50 rust free was bought.
so I removed the two side and top covers from the inside of the car and placed to roof in midships position.
On the drivers side remove the small bolt holding the wiring in place and push the other wiring clip off to one side. Don't forget to remove the lower panel with the wiring for the heated screen

Now with an assistant remove to four torq screws size 30 and carefully note the shims sizes

Remove the panel then offer the new one in with the correct shims. Refix all the screws carefully and check for alignment. You will need an assistant and it took two of us just over an hour to do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.