Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked search on here for some idiot guide on rust repairs - I have the usual gout forming on the front wheel arch including just above the front bumper.

I have been checking out some utube videos on how to do it and have experience on my first cars 40 years ago but not much since.

Firstly- how do I get the front bumper off without triggering the airbags (silly question?) and any links to rattle can repairs to paintwork

I am going to tackle my wifes silver C class rust first as an experiment before I go near my own car (dont tell her that though) but could do with a little advice if anyone here has recent exprience before I touch my own dark blue metalic:Beer:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I do this for a living any pics of the rusted areas .tbh if its only the wings id change them (in fact that's what I did)once the rust starts showing theres more out of sight and theres bugger all treatment wise that offers a permanent repair. wings are less than £200 a side from Mercedes or more from eurocarparts I wouldn't bother with secondhand as they all rust the same

·
Registered
155 Posts
Cheers Beerbelly,

I'm going to take your advice as got quoted £800 for the two wings (rust) and a spray job on half the bonnet ( stone chips ).

It sounds a cheaper deal !

·
Registered
274 Posts
it wont be cheeper to change the wings but it will last. just grinding the rust out (what you can get at anyway)will only be a temp fix . id rather pay more for a permanent fix if your going to keep the car . make sure they use plenty of waxoyl or similar after its painted to all the relavent areas and your new wings will do another 15 + years

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sound advice but the rear wheel arches are also a little on the lumpy side and I guess that is a little more difficult to replace- I remember seeing your baby in the shop with the bumper off- assume I am going to have to do that anyway

My wifes C class has gout on the bottom corners of the doors plus wheel arches front and back- seaside car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.