Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the pro's and cons of having or not having runflats?, not sure what to replace my rather noisy and wet gripless conti sport 5's

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,135 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Don't do it. Run-flats have extremely stiff sidewalls which make for a much harsher ride. Conti Extreme Contact DW are fine in the rain, so you might consider those.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
900 Posts
I have runflats on my car cos I sure as heck dont want Wifey or me to be stuck on some country road. Is the ride harsher? I dont notice a difference for the day to day driving I do on highway or country.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have runflats on my car cos I sure as heck dont want Wifey or me to be stuck on some country road. Is the ride harsher? I dont notice a difference for the day to day driving I do on highway or country.
Your roads are obviously smoother than european efforts!!!!

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
900 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Run flats are also more expensive to "repair" if at all following a puncture.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Don't do it. Run-flats have extremely stiff sidewalls which make for a much harsher ride. Conti Extreme Contact DW are fine in the rain, so you might consider those.
+1 from me, we have run flats on our mini... the ride is SO crashy! + there's quite a bit more road noise. In the UK it's very difficult to find a tyre shop who are prepared to even consider repairing them even when the manufacturers say it's permissible. Also, bear in mind that you have limited speed (typically 50 MPH) and distance (typically 50 miles) after a puncture to get it repaired, that might seem plenty but I often seem to get a flat at the most inconvenient time to get a repair. I'd never spec them on my car.

however ....

+1 from my wife, she's quite prepared to tolerate the dreadful ride and the road noise, because she doesn't want to change a wheel herself or be stranded waiting for a breakdown service... and I quite see her point.

Run flats have come down significantly in price (at least in the UK) they used to attract quite a price premium and I'm told they're quieter and have better ride characteristics than the early ones.. I can't begin to imagine how bad they must've been! :frown:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree and the just released Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 performs even better than the DW.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
agree with above...had run flats on a prior car...very darty handling and poor wear-gone in 10k miles...harsh ride....I'd rather risk it with "real" tires...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.