Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my wife will be the primary driver of our new SLK 55 AMG, I’m considering a purchase of run flat tires. Unfortunately I see there are no run flats made in the OEM size range, I’d have to slightly alter the tire size to a narrower tire (1” narrower).

Any of you switch to run flats? Your thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
they are gawd-awful!! dont do it....had 'em on my Mini Cooper-horrible things-hard, which lead to poor ride and darty handling...replaced with new rims and standard tires -transformed the car. also they get crappy mileage prob b/c of the hardness-15K if ur lucky...never again....

·
Banned for no reason !!!
305 Posts
they are gawd-awful!! dont do it....had 'em on my Mini Cooper-horrible things-hard, which lead to poor ride and darty handling...replaced with new rims and standard tires -transformed the car. also they get crappy mileage prob b/c of the hardness-15K if ur lucky...never again....
Exactly as he said above i concur, dont do it ...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Since my wife will be the primary driver of our new SLK 55 AMG, I’m considering a purchase of run flat tires. Unfortunately I see there are no run flats made in the OEM size range, I’d have to slightly alter the tire size to a narrower tire (1” narrower).

Any of you switch to run flats? Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Not true, Tire Rack shows 2 run flat tires in OEM sizes for the SLK55, Bridgestone S001 and Pirelli P Zero.

Here ya go.......
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Mercedes-Benz&autoYear=2006&autoModel=SLK55&autoModClar=Standard+Model&frontWidth=225%2F&frontRatio=40&frontDiameter=18&frontSortCode=53650&rearWidth=245%2F&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=18&rearSortCode=53950&tab=All

With that said, I've heard nothing good about the ride quality of run flat tires. And they run 30-50% more than a normal tire. It appears you pay a price 100% of the time for the assurance that you can limp home IF a tire ever goes bad. I wouldn't go that route but if safety is your major concern then it may make sense.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I agree with comments made, they came on a new BMW, I renewed them with ordinary tyres which transformed the ride, as said not as harsh. However, on a previous BMW my wife wanted them kept on after a previous puncture experience.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Friend of mine had them on a mini. Everytime she had a puncture she had to buy a new tyre !!! One years AA membership is a lot cheaper than one run flat tyre

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the comments...
My last 3 Corvettes came with runflats, as there was no spare tire available. Of course the Z-06's had a relatively harsh ride, but I never minded. They did get low mileage, and they were expensive!

The new SLk 55 isn't scheduled to be delivered until month's end, and it will be my wife's daily driver. After reading about the difficulty installing the spare, I think our only two options are either runflats, or call a tow truck if she gets a flat. I really don't want her on the side of the interstate struggling with a difficult spare.

The new SLK-55's tires are 235/40r/18 fronts, and 255/35r/18 rear. To get run flats I'd have to drop one size and go to 225's on front and 245's on back. Going to different sizes isn't very high on my list either....Although I'm not sure there would be much functional difference....

I'm thinking for now, the tow truck option will likely be best, but would welcome any additional comments you may have!

Thanks!

·
Room 4 2
235 Posts
With the '55', you get no spare - just a can of TIREFIT (MB's version of 'Fix a Flat') - which mine didn't have when delivered, by the way. So, it's either Run Flats, a Tow, or TIREFIT. Hope you get your car pretty soon!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I might be wrong here.
On some certain cars that come with RF's out of the factory, they have a different suspension setup than the same cars without RF's.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
I might be wrong here.
On some certain cars that come with RF's out of the factory, they have a different suspension setup than the same cars without RF's.
didnt seem like my Cooper did...was worlds better w/o the cursed RFT's... never missed those donuts from hell!!!nasty little rocks...:rb

·
Registered
124 Posts
didnt seem like my Cooper did...was worlds better w/o the cursed RFT's... never missed those donuts from hell!!!nasty little rocks...:rb
I know the BMW 1 series cars do have the different suspension when it comes to RF's or non RF's.
I don't think anyone that enjoys driving prefers the RF's, on any car.

Taken from the Bridgestone site: http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/technologies/rft/faq.aspx#12
''Q: Do Bridgestone Runflat tyres have any effect on comfort or other performance when compared with standard tyres (handling, mileage, etc.)?

A: Vehicles fitted with RFT tyres have specially tuned suspension to compensate for the increased tyre rigidity that is a feature of RFT tyres. Hence vehicles fitted with Bridgestone Runflat tyres provide comparable mileage and handling performance with little or no loss of comfort but, with the exceptional added safety value of a Runflat tyre.''

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Everyone has already said it all about run flats....they are terrible in so many ways.

Doesn't your SLK come with a roadside assistance plan from MBZ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Glad I read this thread- I had not gotten around to asking the question, but baby will need some new shoes by fall and RF's sound like they are off the menu.

·
Room 4 2
235 Posts
Tires

Glad I read this thread- I had not gotten around to asking the question, but baby will need some new shoes by fall and RF's sound like they are off the menu.
Just got my car back from service and the dealer informs that my tires are 'marginal' as far as treadlife is concerned - this after only putting 8500 miles on her (I guess those two track days back in March burned off quite a bit more tread than I realized!). After reading quite a few reviews and opinions, I've decided on getting the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I had a couple of sets on my previous car (S2000) and I really liked pretty much everything about them. So, went online to Discount Tire to see what they had available and set up an appointment. Based on their 'configurator', they tried to specify the tires for the SLK 350 - not the AMG! I got on the phone with the local rep and basically had to tell the guy the specific tire sizes I needed because he really thought their configurator was correct vs what was listed in the Owner's manual (In other words, don't believe your lyin' eyes). I finally told him I'd go check the tire size listed on the door pillar and we would use that as the 'official' size. The pillar values confirm that the sizes are indeed what I said (also in the Owners manual), not what their configurator specifies. If you have an R172 version AMG and go to Discount Tire, you need to make sure to specify the correct tire size - because if you go by what they list, you'll get the wrong tire (unless they fix it). Also, for these PSS tires, the rears were readily available and could be delivered by today. For the fronts, however, there is a 'nationwide shortage' of them and he could only find 2 pairs in the entire country (that's what he told me, anyway). They are having to come in from Virginia and will take 3 or 4 days to get here (hoping for Saturday). Bottom line, if you are needing tires for your AMG, make sure you get the size correct based on what's listed on the door pillar and also that the tires you want are going to be available when you need them. Finally, after I've had them on the vehicle for a few days/weeks, I'll get back on here and give my impressions of these versus the OEM Continentals - my expectation is that they will be much better, I hope I'm not let down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts