Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rubbing and Screeching noise solved.

Apologies as I posted a reply to a similar topic before I realised it was in the new members section. So posting it here where more folk maybe see it.:smile:

Just had the same issue with the near side rear making a rubbing or sometimes squeal/ screeching noise. Also thought maybe a stone caught in the caliper or between the guard but after taking wheel off nothing visible. Tried lots of things but no change and the noise would sometimes get worse but always speed related. It also sounded like metal on metal rather than a scraping noise that a stone might make. So put it in yesterday to my friendly garage as I was frightening dogs and children when I drove by.
Turns out the spring in the handbrake shoes had nothing to hold onto due to rust so had travelled through and was constantly pressing. New piece welded on to hook the new spring on to and away we go. Also had the front disc and pads done at the same time.
Due to the very limited mileage the car has done the discs take a battering so now have had both front and rears ( 6 months ago) replaced so lets say braking is not a problem now. Only have 36k on a 2004 car so will have to make a point of doing some sturdy braking each time I'm out.

Apologies for the rustic explanation but mechanical things are not my forte and above is what I can remember the garage owner saying. :)

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,394 Posts
It surprises me how much discs can rust in just 3 - 4 weeks of non use, especially during the winter. It can take 200 miles to clean mine off when I return from off shore, which doesn't do a lot for the pads lifespan either. :frown:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.