Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2010 SLK300
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading threads about headlight bulbs which lead me to the phillips web site. they recommend changing the bulbs every 30K Km or 2 yrs.

I've never replaced a bulb unless they went out or I noticed a degradation.

Anyone change their bulbs as regular maintenance?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Not really. Are you referring to headlight lamps in general or specifically to H7 vs HID lamps?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Was reading threads about headlight bulbs which lead me to the phillips web site. they recommend changing the bulbs every 30K Km or 2 yrs.

I've never replaced a bulb unless they went out or I noticed a degradation.

Anyone change their bulbs as regular maintenance?
They're in the business to sell light bulbs.

Of course they'll tell us to change them before they're done.

Reactions: -1-

·
Registered 2010 SLK300
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really. Are you referring to headlight lamps in general or specifically to H7 vs HID lamps?
http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/consumer/carlighting/5_customer_service/basics.php?main=in_en_consumer_lighting&parent=89083467512&id=in_en_car_lighting&lang=en

"
Advices for good lighting

1. Change lamps by pair
  2. Replace headlamp bulbs every 30,000 kms or every two-years
  3. Adjust all lights regularly to avoid dazzling
  4. Check all signalling and interior lamps
  5. Regularly clean headlight lenses
  6. Always have a spare kit in your glove compartment in case of emergency
  7. Upgrade your automotive lights to homologated and original quality lamps"

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/consumer/carlighting/5_customer_service/basics.php?main=in_en_consumer_lighting&parent=89083467512&id=in_en_car_lighting&lang=en

"

1. Change lamps by pair
:tu:I agree with all but numbers 2 & 3. No need to replace bulbs unless there was a problem, and wouldn't adjust unless determined they needed adjustment.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,946 Posts

"

1. Change lamps by pair
1. You may have to change by pair if the color of the new lamp vs the other side are significantly different. This can definitely happen. That said, when I changed out one of my Xenons, the new bulb was a perfect match. It's not necessary unless there's a clear color difference.
2. No
3. Maybe check them once in a while. I doubt they'll be thrown out of alignment regularly.
4. OK
5. OK
6. On the SLK replacing the bulbs is not something you'll be doing on the side of the road as soon as a bulb goes out as you've probably seen from other threads. Unless you carry a set of screw drivers and are willing to jack up the car and remove part of the wheel well liner... Also, if you have Xenon lights, it's unlikely you're going to carry several hundred dollars worth of extremely fragile bulbs in your car just on the off chance.
7. I think this is a very round-about way of telling you to use OEM parts...

Just anecdotally, I had my previous car (before the SLK) for 15 years and NEVER had a headlight burn out. This car had DRLs that could not be turned off, so these were some long-lasting bulbs fersure...

On the SLK I've already had to replace one of the Xenons (ouch!!!). The idea of changing them prematurely doesn't make a lot of sense to me though (especially OEM Xenons which are very very very expensive bulbs indeed!).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.