Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m DESPERATE now.

I can`t find a way to route a new wire through the engine compartment bulkhead.

I need to complete a mirror upgrade and trace the indicator wires to the new mirror assembly.

I don`t want to bodge it but can`t find any reference to this problem anywhere.

I`m 67 years old but not stupid and need to keep the cost down so I can`t afford to take it to a professional.

Someone please HELP!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Someone please HELP!!!!!!![/quote]
What mirror are you trying to upgrade? The rear view one? What wires are you trying to route into the engine compartment? A little more detail would help =)

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Take out the battery and the battery tray. (Just 2 bolts for the tray and 1 for the battery) Beneath that there is a plug about 1.25" dia. that has multiple holes for passing wires. HTH
Jim

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I am upgrading my exterior mirrors to the type with indicators.

I removed the door panel and can`t find a way to access the rubber gromit/trunking which carries existing wiring from the door into the car body,therefore, I can`t find the exit point through which I may be able to pass my connecting wires.

I`ve trolled through posts/threads and the best help I can find is in German but my mind is not clear enough for me to proceed.

Removing the battery and accessing the gromit under it is an option but what about the drivers side.

Any further help will calm me down.
Thanks for the replies.
Regards,
Martyn

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you open the engine bay fuse box and remove the part holing the fuses, there is a hole that comes out above the accelerator pedal.
I noticed this while fitting my Smart top, and fed a wire through in case I needed one later on...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Job done

All finished.
I found a route from the side indicators through to the door hinges with a wire trace.There I prized the rubber grommit away pushed another wire trace through to the door compartment where I exited through a vacant hole and connected to the new indicator wiring.
I read somewhere on the many forums I looked at that the polarity doesn`t matter................it does............. but there was no damage done and I didn`t disconnect the battery as I don`t know the code.
I will post pictures soon.
Thanks to all that helped.
Kind regards,
Martyn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts