Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

As I know some of you have done this kind of trip before, I thought I'd ask if any of you have any must see's or tips for driving in Europe..

It's our 10th anniversary next year, and we normally get on a plane and go to Las Vegas or something, but just flights are about £1k each, so stuff that, were going to drive Europe instead....

I'm thinking some time in March / April / May, Go over on the train, down past Belgium and into the south east of Germany by the black forest, heading through Switzerland and stopping at Lake Como (used as a base for drives into Switzerland / Austria and around Italy), then moving onto Monaco, and then back home..

So, any good tips, routes, things to see, things to do, pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions :)..

Let the planning commence :)

·
Registered 2013 SL63
556 Posts
Hi Mark,
You may remember we did a similar trip in 2013 with Glenn and Helen, Martina and Bren - thread here http://www.slkworld.com/united-kingdom-region/32818-euro-trip.html

The Dolomites are great but the roads get very busy at the weekend.
If you drive in Switzerland, you'll need to buy a Vignette = (35Euros IIRC).

Also the dates you are looking at are a bit early for reliable good weather.
I'd be inclined to go late May/early June if you can. Sun not guaranteed but more likely.

Its our 40th next year so if you want some company we might be interested...

Russ

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its our 40th next year so if you want some company we might be interested...Russ
Blimey, now I feel like a right beginner at this marriage lark!!... hehe, I didn't think you two were much over 40 anyway, must have got married as amoebas :)

We're not fixed on dates, (our anniversary is in March), but I added April and May in there, as I wasn't sure about the weather... but we could easily do late May / June, and if you wanted to join, we'd be more than happy..:)

7 - 10 days??. Germany-Switzerland-Italy-pop into Austria-Monaco on the way home, with some nice hotels.... if you'r up for that.. so are we :)..

Now to have a look at your thread, I found your one about Northern Spain, but somehow missed this when I was searching past posts..

** Edit.. **
Now looked at your pictures and thread.. that Col Alto looks well placed... for walking and driving...but if you've found a better one somewhere near, whilst travelling about let us know :), especially nestled in that northern part of Italy..

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Mark, as discussed at the weekend, Deb and I are very interested in a possible road trip next summer, so put us down as potential road mates!

Now, all I have to do is:

1 - Fix the driveway to allow more room for cars
2 - Find a good V8 or possible a twin turbo V6
3 - Get it ready for a couple of weeks Euro driving
4 - Convince Deb it will be fun!!!

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
We did a very enjoyable trip to see the F1 at Monza last year. We drove both ways.

Highlights included the Swiss passes, Autobahn and Mercedes Museum.

Can really recommend Hotel La Perla at Tremezzo for Lake Como, family run 3 star with parking and superb food and views.

Another highlight was the mountain train to the top of highest mountain in Europe, Jungfrau Railway picked up from near Interlaken. First stage is on the mountain side, the second through a tunnel to the top of the mountain, amazing that it was dug in early 1900s. Great experience at the top, lack of oxygen makes you feel weird and is expensive, although we thought worth it.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,624 Posts
France

I did the Train, then Brussels and the Atomium for lunch, then headed for Luxembourg for an over night stop. Touched Germany and some WW2 memorials etc, Stopped in Dijon (great Vineyards). Chamonix and the Tunnel to Italy, before that went up Augi Du Midi (-2C in August).
Stayed in the Alpes for just over a week, Tignes. Came back through Dijon but then to the WW1 sites etc.
I aimed to be at my overnight stops around 14.00/15.00 so I could have a glass of wine, relax and take in the views.:smile:
The journey is part of the holiday after all.
I was going to do the Italy Car Train but I think its been closed, it used to go from Holland.:frown:

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
811 Posts
try variations on this route

Channel port to Trier in Germany for lunch or dinner. oldest city in Germany, fascinating roman and medieval architecture.
from Trier to Stuttgart- see the main attraction. MB Museum. or the Wilhelmina Zoo. or the city, which is fantastic as well.
Channel port, or Stuttgart to Strasbourg, see the sights. then on to Mulhouse for the Schlumpf museum. petrolhead heaven.
Stuttgart or Mulhouse to Innsbruck, via Neuschwanstein in Bavaria if you fancy. Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang's castle, and a few others. You can stay at Fussen, which is 10 mins or so away. Always popular and busy.
Innsbruck- breathtaking. from there to Salzburg. also breathtaking. then south to the Grossglockner pass and over into Italy.
Or from Innsbruck to Italy via the Brenner pass.

or just make it up as you go along. You wont come up against much ugliness when you get to the alps.>:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.