Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have cruised historical Route 66, which stretch is the best stretch for a first timer to cruise? I'm going to fly somewhere along the route, rent a car and cruise for a few days.
My SLK is currently in storage until the snow melts here in WI.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I'm no expert, but here's my experience.

We drove from Tuba City south to Winslow, AZ dropped off to see meteor crater on our way through to Flagstaff. Next day on to Las Vegas. A few days later, onto the west coast and up the Big Sur to San Francisco. We stopped off in Williams for a walk along the high street. Nice trip..

We did a blog, if I find the link I'll post it.

http://glennhelen.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2008-03-28T00:46:00Z&max-results=7

·
Registered
6 Posts
By all means, do not miss stopping in Winslow, AZ and enjoy "Standing on the Corner".......... made famous by the Eagles in "Take it Easy". "Standin' on the corner in Winslow Arizona, Such a fine site to see, It's a girl my Lord in a flatbed Ford, Slowin' down to take a look at me" On the corner is a statue of Glenn Frey, the writer, as well as a red flatbed Ford.

Lots of nostalgia there as well as plenty of souvenirs. You just gotta enjoy!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I did Memphis to Phoenix. Was all good in parts, but I was a bit surprised by how often a detour is required. Trip was memorable insofar we stayed at the filthiest motel I've ever experienced in my life. We were attracted by the iconic neon sign, it was late and we were tired. When my g/f woke in the morning, she screamed...

:surprise:

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Drove a few miles on 66 in Arizona, loved the barbasol road signs. Looked like the dot put the signs up to replace the old advertising ones

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts