Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been having a horrible time getting my joy back on the road.. It all started when my starter went bad.. I hired a mechanic to change the starter he did this and then told me I needed to replace my head gasket, I let him go ahead and start this project well he took my engine apart and never finished the job, so I hired another local shop to put my car back together... They completed this task but the car has never run the same now it idles rough and my engine light is on so I took the car back into the same shop and they told me the spark plugs and wires needed replaced.. They finished this yesterday told me the car was fixed, got it home and pulled into the garage and the engine light came on again and the car is again idling really rough.. I do not know what to do at this point any help would be appreciated on my 1998 slk230 I have already spent close to 3000.00 trying to fix this and I am so sick to my stomach at this point..

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Ok, first, welcome to SLKW from Indy! Second, sorry you're having problems.
Third thru...???

How did mechanic #1 determine the head gasket needed replacing, did
he"show you what was wrong with the head gasket and why didn't "he" finish the job?

How did shop/mechanic #2 determine the plugs/wires were bad? Did they SHOW you just what was wrong?
Take the car back to #2 and have them FIX what they supposedly fixed the first time they worked on your car. Does Oregon have a Consumer Protection Division in the State Attorney General's office? If so, contact them with your problem IF you can't get it worked-out.

Good luck.

Reactions: Timmer80

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the warm welcome :)
#1 Mechanic showed me that the gasket was leaking I could see oil starting to leak from the seal kind of towards the back of the engine.. I do not know why he did not finish the job I think he was over his head took the money I had paid him and ran, I asked for the money back that I had given him for parts, even told him to keep the labor money and he pretty much told me to go honk on bobo, I am in the works of taking him to court but again I am tight on money as this has cost me so much already.. This was due to me not knowing much about cars and putting too much trust in people I do not know ( I was taken advantage of ) I learned the hard way to never hire a mobile mechanic..
I have not had a chance to talk to mechanic #2 they are only open mon-fri, but believe me I have left a message.. As far as how they determined the plugs and wires were faulty, well they just insured me that was what the problem was, again my bad for not having enough knowledge..
Thanks for the info on contacting the Oregon Consumer Protection Division. Looks like I need to do that..
Sincerely
Tim

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
My pleasure Tim!

Ok, that's good(not the leak, but that he showed you!). Is there no way your local authorities can take action or is it entirely in "your court(sorry, but pun intended, just trying to lighten the moment)". In Indy, we have "trouble shooters" who are reporters for local tv stations that investigate problems like this; just might be worth looking into!

I hope #2 gets back with you asap; this is a real sad situation.

Again, my pleasure!

Good luck,
Galo(aka Mark)

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Tim - sorry to hear about your issues. Maybe I'm a skeptic, but I go into nearly every transaction I do being on the lookout for those with an interest in my wallet. For my cars, if I don't know what the problem is myself, I ask here and read the service literature. You can always get your engine code read at any McParts store for free. Do that and tell us what it is. Then keep up the pressure on those possibly incompetent mechanics.

Len

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.