Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I bought this car with a faulty roof. Leaking rams. I rebuilt the rams and got it working again yesterday, awesome. Put all of the trim back on and gave her a detail. Went to go for a drive today and the roof won’t open. Pull on switch, all of the windows open and the front lock releases but that’s it. I can hear the pump going but the boot doesn’t fold back. Any ideas please?

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
42,005 Posts
Until the pros arrive:

The sequence may give a hint where to focus:
Font Electric blue Number Screenshot Symmetry

ROOF R170:

SDS scan is best starting point.
If you do not have access to SDS, some fixes are quite simple.
For the roof to work it has to pass several safety features.

Including, but not limited to:
Wheel speed sensor.
The blind in the boot has to be in place.
The door windows must lower.
The rear quarter windows must lower.
The roof catches in above the windscreen must unlatch.
The boot must open.
The battery must be in top condition (best having the engine running when playing).
The hydraulic fluid must be at the correct level.

Before agreeing to work, try working through our diys if you cannot get the SDS scan.
(MB Indy will charge between £40- 100 for this).

There may also be some videos:

Some fixes are very easy, others are more technical.
It is well worth working through those lists before committing to work.

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,304 Posts
At the point your Roof stops, (Roof Catch unlocks but no Boot fold back), I would suggest that the Microswitch (es?) on the Roof Catch(es?) are where the fault lies. I am not sure if there is one or 2 Switches now, hence (es?) .................
That's my first guess because you may have caught a Wire or pulled off a Plug etc when refitting the Trims ;)

The CCM needs to see the "Roof is unlatched signal" at that very point before VR / CCM will switch the Pumps Solenoid Valve to allow Oil Pressure to lift the Boot Lid backwards.

It could also be a dud Solenoid Valve or the Wiring to it which would cause it to stop at this point too, I had a bad Wire on my Silver V6 R170 ;)

As Myk correctly says, SDS would nail it in a heartbeat, but don't go buy anything else Diagnosticamabob wise, because none of the "others" can actually access the VR / CCM on this Car despite many claiming that they can ;)

IIRC @efair is the man who can tell you which pins to check at the CCM plug to test the Boot Lid Solenoid / Wiring, and the Latch(es?) Switche(es?) and Wiring ;)

HTH (y)

·
8,304 Posts
Where is the boot lid in all this?
He said the Boot lid didn't move, it all stops just after the Roof latches undo ;)

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,859 Posts
the boot lid unlocks - I'm not sure what that means exactly - do you mean the wheel well latches release, so that the lid can be manually tipped back?

You could be right about the pump, make sure the reservoir is at the correct level and the brass emergency relief valve is closed first.

Are you handy with a VOM?

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where is the boot lid in all this?

is your headliner in place or out of the car?
I’ll pull the hood lining back out and make sure that I didn’t move or damage anything when I put it back in
He said the Boot lid didn't move, it all stops just after the Roof latches undo ;)
I’ve manually put the roof down to see if it will go up but nothing. The pump operates but that’s it which is why I’m starting to think that it might be the pump not building enough pressure.

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the boot lid unlocks - I'm not sure what that means exactly - do you mean the wheel well latches release, so that the lid can be manually tipped back?

You could be right about the pump, make sure the reservoir is at the correct level and the brass emergency relief valve is closed first.

Are you handy with a VOM?
Yes the locks release. The fluid level is correct and I’ve closed off the relief screw.

·
8,304 Posts
I suggest you stop spinning your wheels
I wasn't spinning 'em I was refurbishing 'em, unmasked this morning and hardening off nicely in the heated office area :D :D :D

·
8,304 Posts
And back to topic. :D

Roof won’t work. (y)

28DOC has a roof issue.

@efair has taken it as far as we can go for the moment, (without simply guessing at answers), until we get some test results, either from Multimeter on CCM Plug or SDS (y) (y) (y)

Reactions: 28DOC and Avel Du

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
11 Posts
Ok I bought this car with a faulty roof. Leaking rams. I rebuilt the rams and got it working again yesterday, awesome. Put all of the trim back on and gave her a detail. Went to go for a drive today and the roof won’t open. Pull on switch, all of the windows open and the front lock releases but that’s it. I can hear the pump going but the boot doesn’t fold back. Any ideas please?
I have this problem every year. It all comes down to lubricating all of the hinges and bearings. While the switch is on: to lower the roof, push hard on the fulcrum or hinge point at the back of the roof. You may have to bang it with the palm of your hand. The first motion of the roof is to withdraw from the window and move backwards. This should get the roof to open. When it is half open, stop. It will stay for about 5 minutes before it settles by itself. Get a can of spray lube (I used a white lithium grease) and a rag. Hole the rag under each bearing point and spray. Spray from the side, walk to the back and find more spots to spray. I have one spot that I missed that when lubed, made everything work. To recap, spray from the front, the side and the back to get everything lubed.

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok guys I finally fixed my problem. First of all, thank you all for all of your input and suggestions. I did a lot of googling because I was convinced that my problem wasn’t a major issue. After rebuilding the rams, the roof worked but only once and then the pump would work but wasn’t building enough pressure to even open the boot lid. I found a comment in Benzworld which I thought could be my problem. I followed the advice and removed the pressure relief plug to see if it still had two o-rings and there was only one. The top one had deteriorated and broken up. I replaced the o-ring and cleaned out the bits of old one and replaced the plug. I topped up the hydraulic fluid and with fingers crossed I tried the vario roof again. Much to my delight, it works beautifully. The aluminium alan plug next to the brass pressure plug needs to be removed first. Put a rag down to collect the small amount of oil that will leak out when you remove the plugs. The brass relief plug also has a very small spring on the end of it, so handle with care. I hope that this helps if anyone is having the same problem. Thanks again guys and awesome site.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts