Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
LOL, we've all done it, I just didn't know if you actually thought there could be a related fault somewhere else lol ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Then I am out of sensible explanations and will probably just waste your time here. I don't think a scan is going to help. With the key off, fuse 7 removed, and N10-1 disconnected, measure ohms resistance between the [edit: non-hot ] side of fuse 7 and each and every single pin on the N10-1 harness... And report back any readings that aren't O/L or infinite.

BTW (and completely unrelated to your issue) it looks like the "variable illumination" of the roof switch is an LED.
With the N10-3 plugged in I get 2.8 ohms at the non hot side of fuse 7.
With the N10-3 unplugged I get 32 Meg ohms at the non hot side of fuse 7.
With the N10-3 unplugged and the self-dimming rear view mirror unplugged I get O/L at non hot side of fuse 7.

I'm still diagnosing the problem. Do you know the purpose of pin 58 on the N10-3 module, it gets voltage from fuse #7, but I can't find out what it does. I understand the Y66/1, the S84 roof switch, and the H7 rear view dimming mirror circuit, but not pin 58.

Thanks for your help.

Premium Member
I've gotten totally confused between N10-3 and N10-1, sorry. According to my diagrams (starfinder) there is no N10-1. Only N10-3. And it's the roof module. My diagrams show nothing connected to pin 58.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
With the module plugged in, I get 2.8 ohms at the non-hot side of fuse # 7.
With the module plugged in and the cooling fan plug disconnected at the N10-3 module, I get
4.7 Mohms at the non-hot side of fuse #7.

Premium Member
That's a great clue about the blower motor inside the apparatus box (the box where N10-3 and all the other modules live). You probably do have one. I don't know about the FL years, but it's been present on all pre-FL models I've ever seen. That blower motor is not documented anywhere in WIS, and they apparently fail quite frequently. In fact, I've never encountered an R170 in the wild with a working one. And I've never seen one where this blower caused problems on the N10-3. Look for a small "chimney", and look down in for the squirrel cage.

IIRC you can remove the pins for the blower motor from the big N10-3 connector without cutting anything.

Getting back to your diagnostics, you said:

With the N10-3 plugged in I get 2.8 ohms at the non hot side of fuse 7.
With the N10-3 unplugged I get 32 Meg ohms at the non hot side of fuse 7.
With the N10-3 unplugged and the self-dimming rear view mirror unplugged I get O/L at non hot side of fuse 7.
What were you measuring to? Chassis ground?

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
I just powered everything up and fuse #7 did not blow with the module fan disconnected from the N10-3 module plug. I read 16 ohms across the fan motor leads.
Also, now my rear window defroster works.
I'm going to button things up and test the roof today.
Now to look for a fan motor replacement.
Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Why couldn't Mercedes tell us that fuse #7 that goes to pin 58 on the N10-3 Module also powers the module fan motor. I kept researching and finally found something about the module fan motor affecting pin #58.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
That's a great clue about the blower motor inside the apparatus box (the box where N10-3 and all the other modules live). You probably do have one. I don't know about the FL years, but it's been present on all pre-FL models I've ever seen. That blower motor is not documented anywhere in WIS, and they apparently fail quite frequently. In fact, I've never encountered an R170 in the wild with a working one. And I've never seen one where this blower caused problems on the N10-3. Look for a small "chimney", and look down in for the squirrel cage.

IIRC you can remove the pins for the blower motor from the big N10-3 connector without cutting anything.

Getting back to your diagnostics, you said:

What were you measuring to? Chassis ground?
Yes, I do have one, and yes, I was measuring to chassis ground. Luckily the fan motor (2 leads) has a separated connector that plugs into the N10-3 Module connector. There is a black release on the bottom side that lets you remove the fan plug.

Premium Member
I've replaced the motor in three of these blowers with brushless motors from amazon that were dirt cheap; I couldn't find anything "industrial grade". And I couldn't find an exact spec-for-spec replacement - I had to settle for "close enough". The comments you posted above (in white) make me wonder if brushless is a good idea. And as I said - I'd bet that 75% of all R170's are driving around just fine with non-functioning blowers.

Great job on the research.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
I've bought my 2001 SLK 230 new in 2000 and have never heard the module cooling fan run.
Thanks for the fan information. I'll probably call my indy/parts guy about a replacement.

Registered
I've bought my 2001 SLK 230 new in 2000 and have never heard the module cooling fan run.
Thanks for the fan information. I'll probably call my indy/parts guy about a replacement.
Exactly how do you unplug the connector? I don鈥檛 see a black release anywhere, thanks.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts