Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thunderstorms Are rolling in in three hours. I hit a railroad crossing at speed at dusk and bottomed out hard. I can’t close my roof. I get a trunk partition open warning. I’ve searched and seen a couple of threads but none with enough information to help me. I may have dislodge the microswitch. There’s a plastic cover triangular shape, I’ll get a picture in a minute, that was dislodged in the back trunk area.
Is there a microswitch that I can zip tie to get the trunk closed ?

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2016 SLK55 5k miles,

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,059 Posts
Suggestion, open your trunk and release the partition and re latch it ...I've had that fix it for me...but I've never bottomed out the car...but I have had the partition invisibly unlatch...just a suggestion...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drivers side partition latch is not seating smoothly. I can latch it and it clicks but it seems a little off line ever since the ferry boat security guy checked my trunk and forced it closed over my luggage.
Top was working prior to railroad crossing mishap...

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suggestion, open your trunk and release the partition and re latch it ...I've had that fix it for me...but I've never bottomed out the car...but I have had the partition invisibly unlatch...just a suggestion...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I’ve tried that several times and even tried to apply pressure from different angles to see if it would seat better and clear the warning

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,227 Posts
look here for how to close the trunk and other ideas

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sarge. Thread title should read miles not “Mikes”... sorry I’m a little rushed

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,511 Posts
The two pegs that latch into the “C” on either side of the trunk partition are where some microswitches are located. Whenever I get a trunk partition open message that’s where I look. I would look there first.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,136 Posts
I don't know if it's the same on an r172 but on an r171 you can shove a 10 mm socket into that switch to hold it closed and then scotch tape it in place and it will stay just fine. Can you send pictures of that area where the partition hooks in?

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,202 Posts
Can you send pictures of that area where the partition hooks in?
Will a 2012 be the same as 2016? If so, I can post one.

·
Registered Looking at a 2012 350
7 Posts
I don't know if it's the same on an r172 but on an r171 you can shove a 10 mm socket into that switch to hold it closed and then scotch tape it in place and it will stay just fine. Can you send pictures of that area where the partition hooks in?
So thats where that damned 10mm socket went !!!!!!

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I knew I could count on the fine folks on this forum. I was far from home and I felt alone and in trouble but I reached out and all y’all were there.

THANK YOU!!!

·
14,202 Posts
You get it closed?

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bump stop on passenger side became dislodged, vario roof slanted to that side putting pressure on trunk partition cocking it so micro switch wasn’t made...
you can see in the pic below where the vario hinge beat up the mounting hole as the car and I recovered from the airtime...

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You get it closed?
Yes, the Nicole at the hotel front desk had small enough hands to reach the dislodged part which had fallen down into the passenger side vario mechanisms... there was no way I could reach it and it is rubber so a magnet wasn’t going to help. I couldn’t have done it without her! There was very little space and I had to support all the weight of the roof on that side to get the bump stop back in place. The roof closed once the pressure from the vario roof was relieved from the trunk partition.

Thanks again for the prompt responses and advice!
I was so mad at myself for my stupidity and was cursing myself for breaking my beloved car.

I love the 10mm socket trick! I’m buying one just for that and leaving it in the armrest!

·
14,202 Posts
Marked resolved BUT not closed (no pun intended) in case further help is required (y)

·
14,202 Posts
I love the 10mm socket trick! I’m buying one just for that and leaving it in the armrest!
Make sure you keep some duct tape in there as well 😉

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
470 Posts
Yep...unfortunately others on the forum have also learned that you can not force the cover down on top of stuff in the trunk or bad things will happen. I just happen to have an extra 10 mm socket that is now in the car. Good job everyone!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts