Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
*Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, darn. The roof is stuck half-way (see pic). We tried turning it off, letting it sit for >10 minutes, and trying it again. But nothing happens. Short of calling the dealer and having it towed, is there any way to resolve manually to get it closed?

Car is under warranty and we are not mechanically inclined; but can of course manually close it if there’s some way to do that. We have an appointment next Monday already to service it; so just getting it closed would be enough for now. Thank you.

Car Vehicle Tire Land vehicle Wheel

·
Administrator (Canada)
19,951 Posts
Maybe post 2 here as it's still an R172 model--to get you thinking??

and not something you're likely to do but for R171 have view:

·
*Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe post 2 here as it's still an R172 model--to get you thinking??

and not something you're likely to do but for R171 have view:
Thanks so much for the reply. (Yeah, we . . . aren’t going to do that! :>) Roadside assist called. Hopefully they send a tech and don’t just tow it. Not sure what they’re going to do. Stay tuned.

·
Administrator (Canada)
19,951 Posts
make sure it's a flat bed (or a vulcan with dollies). Must use the (tow) hook that is part of the car's "tools" to load it as well.

The front end of your SLK must be able clear the deck of the tow veh (but then, they should know this) otherwise more repairs will be required than just the roof.

Can never be too careful as not all t/t drivers are as caring as you are of your ride.

·
*Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update: Flatbed arrived. Driver would have drove the front end directly into the flatbed had I let him do it. He was in process of doing it when I started shouting at him to stop. He stopped. It was no more than half a cm away from hitting (I couldn’t put my pinkie between the front end and the bed). I actually had to drive it up on blocks myself to get it up - he had no idea what to do. And of course he had no idea how to tow the car with the top half-open. I heard from the dealer that it arrived safely, but I have to say - holy *#! I hope so. Good news is the car is under original warranty, and the tow service was Mercedes Roadside; so any damage should be their fault (right?).

Anyway, I’ll update the thread if anything interesting resolves with the top. Hopefully this isn’t a sign of things to come. (Glad I bought the extended warranty. . .)

·
*Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update for everyone: Car was delivered to dealer unhurt. In fact, something about bouncing around on the flat bed must have jarred the roof back to normal because . . . You guessed it. The roof worked fine when it got to the dealer. The dealer checked the computer and no errors were recorded either. (We definitely let the car sit for > 2.5 hours before trying the roof before putting it on the flatbed, so it wasn’t that we didn’t let it reset.). No idea what was wrong. Here’s hoping it never happens again. Thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts