Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK230k
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've searched high and low for a comprehensive guide but can only find part instructions, and no pictures.

I need to adjust (potentially replace) the the side roof seal that runs along the side of the roof panel that the door glass seals against. It leaks onto the driver seat. I understand that to remove/ adjust the seal I have to pull on the rubber strip somewhere in the centre of its length, and when it pops off the groove it's seated in then I should see where the 2 ends are screwed down (which can be adjusted).

Q: is the above description accurate?
Q: Also, there's a metal trim strip on the rubber seal, do I remove this (how?), or does this all come away with the seal when I pull it?

Any guidance gratefully received.

RJC

·
Registered 2001 SLK230k
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some pics to help others with R170 roof seal removal. Used a 2ft length of wood, drilled holes at the ends and used zip ties to hold the roof. The seal sits in a channel underneath the metal trim strip. Grab the seal in the middle below the metal trim and wiggle/pull it downwards to get it out of the channel. You can then see the 3 screws which hold the metal trim to the roof panel and traps the seal. When replacing the seal I found it easiest to put the full length of the lower (inner) edge back in the channel first and then used the blunt handle end of a spoon to push the outer edge back into the channel under the metal trim strip. Ta-da!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think you are on the right track, but here is the procedure from WIS
What about the part of the upper door/window seal that runs along the windshield? Mine are torn up and I have already picked up new ones but haven't gotten around to figuring out how to do it.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,330 Posts
What about the part of the upper door/window seal that runs along the windshield? Mine are torn up and I have already picked up new ones but haven't gotten around to figuring out how to do it.
Please review the attached parts view of the roof seals and specifically identify which seal you are asking about. Thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1WpXQ0AD_F2OFZkNjVsTmplVDQ/view?usp=sharing

Edit - my mistake. These seals are for the rear of the roof not the front windshield area.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,330 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some pics to help others with R170 roof seal removal. Used a 2ft length of wood, drilled holes at the ends and used zip ties to hold the roof. The seal sits in a channel underneath the metal trim strip. Grab the seal in the middle below the metal trim and wiggle/pull it downwards to get it out of the channel. You can then see the 3 screws which hold the metal trim to the roof panel and traps the seal. When replacing the seal I found it easiest to put the full length of the lower (inner) edge back in the channel first and then used the blunt handle end of a spoon to push the outer edge back into the channel under the metal trim strip. Ta-da!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks for this instruction. Lately i have quite a wind noise coming from the passenger window and up on inspection, i found that the ruber trim window seal end is kind of bristle and broken. i would like to know if you know what is the part number for this item. car is 2002 slk 320. thanks

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,372 Posts
you see the part?

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,984 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread again, but thanks for this.

Both sides had started to leak water on my 200, which in turn managed to run down into the boot (trunk) and was dripping inside off of the boot (trunk) hinges.

Boot seal, rear quarter window seals, rear roof seal, all pulled off and inspected.
All put back on again and sealed with a thin layer of windscreen sealant.

No joy :(

Turned out to be these things, upon inspection the internal rubbers go flat with age and allow seepage.
Thin layer windscreen sealant, reattach to car ...

... Mother Nature performed her rain test a couple of times over the weekend and I still have a dry boot (trunk)

Yay!

Seems that I took the long route but got there eventually.
Feeling confident enough now to put the boot (trunk) carpet back in. :)

BTW. If anyone else feels the need to pull their rubber trims off, save yourselves some hassle and buy a set of trim removal tools, much better than a spoon and only about £7 on eBay

:Beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.