Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some SLK veterans comment on their experiences with a retractable hardtop? Is it reasonably quiet with the top up, are there any rattles/squeaks/leaks or other concerns? I love the look of the R172 but I am a concerned about the shortcomings that tend to come with this setup, not necessarily MB.

Thanks
Mav

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,610 Posts
I will move this post to the general discussion group as it would appear to pertain to roof of all models since 98.

·
96,610 Posts
Mav757,

you might want to do a 'search' on the forum for this topic.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Do a search on roof seal lubrication.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi DD,

I can't PM yet so, I will ask you here. Do you find it bothersome and annoying? Would you consider buying another SLK?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Hi DD,

I can't PM yet so, I will ask you here. Do you find it bothersome and annoying? Would you consider buying another SLK?

Cheers

Yeah it's annoying, sometimes it bugs me, sometimes I put the music on louder lol

I'm actually thinking of trading the 350 in for a 55 next year. I've been looking at CLK550 recently because I would love the extra space. But the way that the SLK turns heads is making me think otherwise ;)

My roof hasn't been lubricated since I've owned it (not sure if the previous owner did but I'm assuming no) so it could use a bit of cleaning.

There are some threads on here that concern the roof rattling so you should look them up.

My roof has been opened and closed a million times while driving on big bumps and it's still working perfectly fine. That's also probably why it's squeaking a lot lol.

·
96,610 Posts
mav, you can pm people when u get 15 posts. to do this quickly, go to the 'new members introduce yourself' section and say howdy to 15 people. that easy!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a pretty massive leak in my roof that MB took care of for me (it was still under warranty). They ended up replacing all the rubber seals on it which took care of the problem and so far so good.

There are some squeaking or rather, "creaking" sounds when I go over a bumpy road. I have improved it a little by adjusting the trunk but have pretty much given up on trying to get rid of it all together.

I still love my SLK and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Just be aware that if you are looking for a silent car the SLK is not for you. Its really not suppose to be anyways :)

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,387 Posts
I have did the roof seal lubrication and that took care of the noise of creaking and squeaks. Rattles usually is corrected by adjusing the posts that have rubber caps that the trunck lid rest on when closed. Gumi Pledge works wonders for roof seal lubrication and all other rubber seals around doors, windows and trunck, yes they are suppose to be silent and can be if taken care of.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I've got all three of mine damned near silent. Lubrication is key, and there are loads of post about Gummi Pfledge vs Krytox, etc. Gummi on the '350 lasted about a year, and was getting irritating, but once re-lubed, is again nice and silent!

Used Krytox on the '55 UK side, and it's still going pretty strong after 14 months. I'll probably do her up again before the next Sheep Chase, though.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,365 Posts
My 2012 SLK 350 has no rattles or creaks but it only has 750 miles on it. This is my 3rd SLK, and the Gummi stuff did the trick for the previous ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.