Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Yesterday, I found out that one of the cover cap trims (or whatever they're called) is missing from my roof of my 2006 SLK.
It's the cover up caps for the roof rack holes on top of the front pillars of the car.

I have desperately been trying to find out where I can buy a new one, but can't find it anywhere and it's driving me crazy. I don't know what to do, and it looks horrible without the cap.

I took the piece of from the left side and it has the code: 1706980930, underneath. Google searching only got me this link but it's out of stock and I can't get in contact with the page.

Does anyone know where I can find such a piece? Or if there are any other solution to cover this up? Thank you very much in advance!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,445 Posts
May be a long shot BUT maybe you know someone who has a 3d printer who could make a "reverse" copy of that cover?? I don't have one and not sure if it could be done though. Then repaint.

Just thinkin'.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,911 Posts

·
12,445 Posts
Pillar molding cap? Just have to know the correct name for a part :tu:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't even realize this wasn't standard on all SLK's. Who in their right mind would chooses to have a roof rack option on a car like this...

Thank you for your replies. I have tried contacting my nearest Mercedes dealer asking if they can help.
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a 3D printer, and even though it actually sounds genius, I tried googling it, and it seems like I'd need to have a 3D model of this in a program to be able to print it, I don't think it can just copy a real object. Regardless, it seems a little too difficult for such a small item, but thanks nonetheless for the suggestion :D

I found one listing on eBay that seems to sell the exact piece I need (the right side), but it's a seller from the US, so even though the item only cost $14.49, I need to pay $235.80 in shipping costs to Denmark.. I tried messaging the seller asking if he has anyway to fix that, because I've bought items from America for way less shipping charges before. Otherwise, I guess I could try find someone in Florida who could buy it for me and send it instead... :|

Or my last option I guess would be to completely replace the A-pillars with some original ones - without the option for a roof rack.. This would of course also be a bit pricey I bet.

·
94,911 Posts
I didn't even realize this wasn't standard on all SLK's. Who in their right mind would chooses to have a roof rack option on a car like this...

Thank you for your replies. I have tried contacting my nearest Mercedes dealer asking if they can help.
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a 3D printer, and even though it actually sounds genius, I tried googling it, and it seems like I'd need to have a 3D model of this in a program to be able to print it, I don't think it can just copy a real object. Regardless, it seems a little too difficult for such a small item, but thanks nonetheless for the suggestion :D

I found one listing on eBay that seems to sell the exact piece I need (the right side), but it's a seller from the US, so even though the item only cost $14.49, I need to pay $235.80 in shipping costs to Denmark.. I tried messaging the seller asking if he has anyway to fix that, because I've bought items from America for way less shipping charges before. Otherwise, I guess I could try find someone in Florida who could buy it for me and send it instead... :|

Or my last option I guess would be to completely replace the A-pillars with some original ones - without the option for a roof rack.. This would of course also be a bit pricey I bet.
you did see my post 5 above with the parts in it right? Like under $5 @soren

·
94,911 Posts
you have a r171 yet those part numbers are for r170....

our UK members should have mb oem part sites they can supply

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you have a r171 yet those part numbers are for r170....

our UK members should have mb oem part sites they can supply
Yeah, I can't order from mbpartscenter.com, as they don't ship to my country.

I'd love to get linked a European parts site, if anyone knows of one.

·
94,911 Posts
Datacard posted and here is part stuff color is colorless

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,555 Posts
OK, disregard my last post. I was writing that while you replied..

Thanks for the link. I guess as @LeonardoDaBenz said, it's hard to find something, when I don't really know the name for it.

Thank you for the help though :)
No one is faster on the Draw than Sarge....:wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you very much, but I am still struggling to find the part on a European site or at least one that ships to Denmark.

Searching the part number on google gives me nothing.

·
94,911 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,845 Posts
Honest. I get home from an afternoon drive and Boom! I'm being hailed..... :surprise:

There is a MB dealer that advertises on eBay in the UK. I have used them. Happy to act as a go-between to get the part to me and then on to you. I'll look up the eBay reference and pass it on.

55russamg said:
No one is faster on the Draw than Sarge....
I've beaten him once. Just once. Only once. >:D

Doesn't stop me trying though... :grin:

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,845 Posts
OK - the seller I used was Mercedes Benz of Newcastle. Here is a link to their UK site:

Mercedes and Smart Newcastle | eBay Shops

See if they can get the part for you and let's sort out the remainder when you've found the part. As someone has said, also look for the non-special A-pillars. That may help you as a back-up. Also, have a look on the German eBay site - that may help you too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you @savcom, I appreciate the help!

I've tried messaging them, hoping they can get the part.

Unfortunately I haven't had luck on the german ebay site either.

I have found some back-up non special a-pillars (left) (right). They would require some painting, but it's definitely an option as well. It would also make it a cleaner look and save me from loosing it in the future aswell. I've never been a fan of small parts that strangers can take off within seconds anyway.

I guess the only problem I have is having to spend money on it. It's one of those things that didn't really bother me, before I realized not all other SLK's have it :grin:

·
12,445 Posts
I've never been a fan of small parts that strangers can take off within seconds anyway.
Speaking of which, I was out shopping yesterday and someone stole the dust cap off one of my tires :mad: :mad:

Flakes :td:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts