Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I have a bit of a problem with my roof. When closed and after some driving (fed days or even less), the button for opening tuns red and beeping sound starts. When I press it forward to force closing it makes sound like closing the roof again and it's fine than for another couple of days. When i open the roof half way (to clean etc.) if the engine is running it's fine, but as soon as I turn off th engine the roof starts falling down (backwards or forward). I presume it must be something wrong with the pump, right?

Regards,

Sash

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,657 Posts
and you have checked the trunk area cover to make sure it is latched properly?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, the cover is always in place, but that wouldn't cause the roof to fall down with the engine off anyway. If the cover is not in place and the light goes on and beeping sound starts, I need to stop the car, pull the cover in the boot and then to press the button forward to force the mechanism to "close" the roof appropriately.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Also, check the air bleed screw on the side of the pump. Make sure it didn't work loose. If it's not leaking fluid from any one of the five cylinders, it's getting air or bypassing fluid from somewhere since it won't stay vertical.

The flashing light could be something as simple as a faulty/loose limit switch.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
How long after shutting off the engine does the roof "fall" down. The system does lose pressure unless power is applied (when putting the roof up or down). It is not designed to stay in the intermediate position for any length of time.

Search for John's Roof holder or prop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roof problem

Thanks guys, I'll check these.

@MrG, would you be so kind to tell me where thaose two thing are located? I presume the bleed screw is not hard to find on the pump, but limit switch is a bit of a Puzzle for me.

@DerFlieger, well roof "fells" down after approx 15-20 sec.

Sash

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,387 Posts
Do not know if you have a 170 or 171. Here is what is printed in the owner manuals.
If the retractable hardtop does not completely open or close, the roof hydraulics will lose pressure and the retractable hardtop is lowered after approximately 7 minutes when the

ignition is switched on.
after approximately 15 seconds when the ignition is switched off.

Shortly before the hardtop is lowered, a warning will sound. In the multifunction display you will see
K and the message Retractable roof being opened

The 170

The manaul under cleaning rear windows says you have 7 minutes before the top starts to fall. Open the top with the key in postion 2 and rear shelf is vertical.

Other comment that applies to both.
If you hit the top switch before the time runs out it will then hold the amounts again. The car does not need to be running just switch in position 2 on either the 170 or 171. If switch is not on the top will fall in about 15 seconds.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,516 Posts
Your car thinks the roof is not latched properly, it coud be a faulty switch or somthing else.
Have a look at the roof troubleshoting link in my signature.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
This warning (red light, beeping) you mention in the first post - are you in motion (ie driving) or stopped? If the car is moving more than walking pace, and the switch is selected, you will get a warning. This recently happened to me when my daughter put her cell phone on the console, which pushed the switch, caused the warning, and scared her Dad who was halfway through a two lane roundabout.....:( :burnout:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Other comment that applies to both.
If you hit the top switch before the time runs out it will then hold the amounts again. The car does not need to be running just switch in position 2 on either the 170 or 171. If switch is not on the top will fall in about 15 seconds.

Sounds like the 15-20 seconds is normal unless the key is on.

There is a limit switch on each of the front corners of the roof that tell the system that the roof is safely latched. If the latches fail or work loose, or a switch is faulty it will light up the control switch. Since you can push the control switch forward and the warning goes off, it sounds like this might be the case.

The bleed screw is on the side of the pump inside the rhs removable trunk panel. There should be a hex wrench clipped to the backside of the panel that fits the screw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.