Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi so i noticed drips of oil on my passenger seat. 1st i though it was form me lubricating things around (i added silicone on rubber, and white lithium on mechanical part) but i think while forcing roof to stay open for lubrication something broke some where as oil i see is seam like hydrolic, smells synthetic. what could be leaking there? to my uderstanding onlything that goes there is line to the lock? any one had similar problems? I guess i need to remove interior cover and inspect lines?

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,263 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,791 Posts
Had the same problem on my 350. Hydraulic seal went. Needs to get fixed. That would be the roof latch hydraulic.

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
site did not sent e reply notification :(
tnx for PDF, not much infor there but at least some general data. i see only one line does in there, and im guessing its not a line itself or i would be flooded loose pressure so per Mensra i guess connector seal got old .... though looks like connector and lock is in middle and dips of oil on side, but liquids do like to travel the lines and wires so possibly it just went down the line...

what the easiest way to open liner cover (bottom of the roof)? look like 3 scres on fron and locks in back, i just don't feel safe jamming rood again in middle position...
i think if i open liner i will get more deffinet confirmation.
If its a seal, is it replaceable? I don't see any data in seals being used.

tnx

·
* Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG
995 Posts
site did not sent e reply notification :(
tnx for PDF, not much infor there but at least some general data. i see only one line does in there, and im guessing its not a line itself or i would be flooded loose pressure so per Mensra i guess connector seal got old .... though looks like connector and lock is in middle and dips of oil on side, but liquids do like to travel the lines and wires so possibly it just went down the line...

what the easiest way to open liner cover (bottom of the roof)? look like 3 scres on fron and locks in back, i just don't feel safe jamming rood again in middle position...
i think if i open liner i will get more deffinet confirmation.
If its a seal, is it replaceable? I don't see any data in seals being used.

tnx
Ok up front I have not yet had my R171 long enough to remove the headliner but I just did a recover on the R170 before it.
So take this for what it is worth as it may be different
The R170 you removed the three screws across the front.
On each side there are two screw.
With all 7 screws removed and the roof partly open it slides forward and out.
When putting it back the edges and rear side go into narrow tracks. You must be careful to keep it square as you push it back and make sure to guide it into the rear track. Replace the screws on the sides before replacing the screws at the front.

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
screws on front i think i seen, screws on side i don't know where they could possibly be? Behind rubber seals?

·
* Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG
995 Posts
As I said I have not done a headliner removal in an R17 but on the R170 they hide in a channel just inside the seal. Use a flashlight because they were really recessed in to the trim molding and its dark in there!

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my big guess 170 an 171 and SL and SLR are the same, MB seams to reuse design for ages :) tomorrow will take a peak behind seals
tnx

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i removed headliner (4 screws on top and everything else is just clips) and top latches cylinder is liking form the center of the tube (at least looks like so) my guess seals are no longer good
and ideas how i can disconnect it? main question is when there is no pressure on line as i don't want to disconnect something under 2000 psi lol
any one know part number or where i can rebuild it? or if i can rebuild it myself?

·
105,263 Posts

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
part us A 171 800 00 72
yep already found top hydrolics site and figured out that bad news for me, i still need to open panel with pump and and remove whole line to get replace cylinder :(((
seams like 1 day or work at least but no option not too do it
should i hope that all other cylinders are ok?

·
105,263 Posts

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well what makes me hazitant in replacing all is that i think other 4 cylinders are harder to access? that pdf mainly show location

·
105,263 Posts
see the top hydraulics videos on how to remove?

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,791 Posts
You can pay somebody a fair amount of cash to replace them or there is a way to replace the seals that’s fairly straightforward and appears to be a permanent fix. As Sarge would say, “search is your friend“.

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tnx for hint on video just watched all if them definitely looks like 1 day work and i guess best to find roof as i so afr only can do this on parking lot :(

@Mensra i see there are seal kits on ebay, assuming this cylinder opens up as other hydraulic cylnders i proobably can find tool or cut one myself on laser or cnc and try to replace seals, could be easy and fast

1 - 16 of 16 Posts