Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I try to greasing my roof mechanism but roof not stay on the top
When I stop pressing the red button it going slowly down .
I tried In different position but is not stey.
Probably hydraulic pomp is not strong enough or what.

I not turn off the ignition.

What is correct of this two :
Raise the roof about halfway, close to the neutral balance point; turn off the ignition to stop the roof at this position. Be alert; after several minutes the roof may sink down to the closed position if not stopped near the balance point.
or:

its easy to remove the roof liner

open the roof half way keep the engine running.
there are three screws on each side and if i remember correctly three at the front.
This removes the plastic trim and then the carpet just comes away
i cut all of the ballows (plastic) away from the switches with a small pair of cutters.

remember that the roof will go back down after 7 mins if you dont touch it.
good idea once youhave the liner off is to allow the roof to close so you can see the exposed switches in action.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,326 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
Option 2 - You need to keep the engine running to maintain the roof in the half way position ...

If your roof is going down with the ignition on , check the pressure relief valve/screw is tight , other than that you may have a leaky hydrolic cylinder .

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,055 Posts
The 170 roof behaves different from the 171... 170 starts dropping as soon as you release the switch. Make a broomstick per John's specs it will work fine on 170.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,526 Posts
The 170 roof behaves different from the 171... 170 starts dropping as soon as you release the switch. Make a broomstick per John's specs it will work fine on 170.
On a R170 if the engine is running & you let go of the switch the roof will stop moving & stay where ever it is for 5 minutes (maybe less mabe more) then the pressure is released & the roof will move by itself.

I agree with the broomstick method.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.