Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry if this question has already been asked and sorry if posted in the wrong place - I am new to this!

I am having problems with my SLK230 1998.
Earlier in the day I drove it home with the roof down, when I went to close it back up the boot tipped open but the roof itself remained down (however moving slightly). I then left it for 20mins and went back and all worked fine then. I have just gone to use the car and am now having problems getting the roof back down!
I have made sure the boot blind is pulled across fully, car is in Park with Handbrake on. When I pull the switch back to open the roof the Windows go down first, then the boot tips open however nothing else happens! I can hear the motor whirring and a click from the roof latches as the boot opens however no movement from the roof itself. I've checked the Hydraulic fluid which seems fine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Roof issue.

when is the last time that you had the roof cleaned out? am sure is not the prob but once mine refused to open and I had to push on it to fully open, luckily some proper silicon lube and grease up on the rear mechanisms and esp the front windowscreen and the microswitches in it did help. if you havnt had the roof serviced, would def recommend doing so, but if roof is up and wont go down or is temperamental, I wouldn't attempt to use roof down until the issue is sorted unless your car is safe in your garage or something. this advise probably wont be of help, but when I had a roof prob, I subsequently found that most of the roof parts were dirty and well clogged up. so maybe could be of help. the only other prob ive had was when the (drivers I think) wheel sensor had failed.. if you find that your central locking isn't working when you drive along? when my wheel sensor failed last year, that caused the roof to fail and the central locking not to kick in when I was driving. hope you fix, let us all know how she goes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
ps.

maybe gently try and (not force) but gently push roof in the closing direction- when you are trying to open the roof. when my roof failed about 18 months, wouldn't go down, I gently pushed the roof back to assisnt and luckily the roof then folded into the boot and went down. which is then when I decided to get the proper (Halfords) lubes out and clean the roof mechanisms. but don't over force it and in fact check with the other members for their advise!

·
Founding Member 2006
108,815 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Hi AmySLK, and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

Also, your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already:

In the meantime, search is your friend (top right of each page), here are a couple of potentially useful links for troubleshooting R170 roof issues:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-cl...bleshooting-tree-r170-courtesy-leapyfish.html
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/213617-vario-roof-diagnostic-aid.html

Thank you
Dave

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,162 Posts
Amy,
It is almost certain to be an issue with the sensor switches. Are you handy with a multimeter and comfortable using it on your car? Or do you know anybody who is? They're easy to diagnose with minimal effort. Actually replacing the switches is more involved but not difficult.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.