Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
My roof wasn't retracting in extreme temperatures; i.e. cold or hot. Only like 60degrees with the sun down would it work. And I looked around quite a while for just some pictures of these bellows that everyone says to remove, and a pretty simplistic step by step; but it may be too easy of a job to even justify that much. But, I just decided to make one since I did mine this morning; took about 15 minutes.

1. Raise the roof, manually or via the switch if possible; get it to where you can at least access the front three screws. They're not hidden at all, so you will see them.
2. Remove the front 3 screws.
3. There are 2 screws recessed in holes on each side, so remove them.
4. There is 1 screw that may be a little difficult to get to at the very back corner, on each side. Remove those. (Though you may not even need to.)
5. No need to remove the entire headliner, it will hang down enough for you to finish the job.
6. Locate the bellows / dust covers on the microswitches. (As pictured)
7. Get 'em off. I used an exacto knife to cut them, and needlenose pliers to pull them off.
8. Screw the headliner back in.
9. If that was your problem in the first place, you're golden.

Tops been working like a champ since I did this. Remember to touch the switch every now and then to make sure the top doesn't fall on you. It starts to sag after about 5 minutes.

Hope this helps someone!

Attachments

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
114 Posts
The discovery of your thread just gave me the best Sunday in a long time!!

After getting ready to fork a few grand for mercedes to redo the whole top, I thought why not. 15-20 minutes, I'll know if it works. Well, 12 minutes later I am cruising around with a working top again!!

I send many, MANY, kudos, wishes, blessings, etc. to you.

Now I can LOVEMESOMESLK AGAIN TOO!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.