Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading a lot about why my cars roof liner seems to be coming loose in places. I looked at the three screw in the front and wondered if I was to remove them whether I will be able to see if in fact I have oil on there or whether the glue has started to dry out allowing the liner to sag in places. If it is just the glue what is recommended to use and would it come in a spray bomb.

It would be nice to know before removing the liner completely..
Any input would be nice..:Beer:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,657 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did look this time and read the link you gave me however all I was looking for right now was a way to check why it's loose. I found out from anyother site that you remove the three screws in the front and three on each side and the roof liner should slide forward and out. Once that is done I can see if it's oil or dried up glue. Thanks

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,387 Posts
I did look this time and read the link you gave me however all I was looking for right now was a way to check why it's loose. I found out from anyother site that you remove the three screws in the front and three on each side and the roof liner should slide forward and out. Once that is done I can see if it's oil or dried up glue. Thanks

Yes this is correct. just do the 9 screws and slide it out toward the front. If due to the foam has given away and not oil leak you need to get new foam back material and use a spray glue after removing all old liner and foam.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where would I get the foam back mat from and if it's the lock cylinder that's leaking can I get new seals from ebay or do they have to come from MB. Hopefully it's the foam/glue that's come lose..

·
96,657 Posts

·
96,657 Posts
From red99 includes where to get material: http://wlsheadliners.com/

Headliner replacement.
I just replaced the headliner in a 1998 Bug a few weeks ago. A much lengthier (thought not very hard ) job.

The process was as follows once you have the headliner removed;

Pull the existing headliner covering off of the shell. This will leave the foam backing on some or all of the shell.

Take a clean and dry scrub brush and brush off as much of the foam as possible. I was able to get 98% of it off the Bugs headliner.

Layout and rough cut the new headliner.

Pull back the rear half of the new headliner cover and spray half of the headliner and new covering. (3M or DAP contact adhesive spray, I'll cover this at the end.)

Wait ten minutes then butt the back of the coverings to the back of the headliner shell. Start from the back and smooth the headliner in place with a firm rubbing with your hands. The R170 shell is an easier run than the Bugs so it should be an easy shot.

Once you have half done repeat for the front half but picking up where you left off on the headliner. Be sure you have all of both surfaces covered.

Once complete let it sit for a few then trim it up nice and neat then install the new headliner.

My daughters Bug headliner looks like new.

Where to get the material as a kit and it includes the spray?

wlsheadliners.com

The kit for the bug was about $60 total.

·
2,387 Posts
Check fabric stores for a foam backed material or online for headliner material, which will have a foam backing.

The instruction in the link above says turn switch off. If you stop the roof at half way point leave the switch at position 2. The roof will hold at that point for something around 7 minutes. You will hear a beep and the roof will then start to fall. If you tap the roof button you will get another 7 minutes before it will start to fall.

·
96,657 Posts
you might have to login/join that forum to see em.

let me see if i can copy them for you

·
96,657 Posts

·
96,657 Posts
pics for you. probably not in order

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay took the roof liner out this afternoon and found NO oil just the liner glue was dried out. So now my question is how can I get the glue to soften up enough to remove it. I tried a hard brush and it does remove the heavy stuff but there's still lots on the cork. Plus is it posible to re-use the head liner and how can you get the glue of it or will I have to renew that?

Someone told me to use Acetone (nail polish) on both but need to know it it will not melt anything..

F)

·
2,387 Posts
Lots of hard scraping and a metal brush. The use of foam backed material will help covering up any small stuff or uneven headliner board. Of course cleaner the better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My car just did the same exact thing! My Mercedes dealer is asking $300.00 plus tax for the headliner. They recommended an upholstery repair shop, however I do not want the cloth and suede headliner! I liked the vinyl so much

·
2,387 Posts
A auto upholstery repair shop should be able to offer you a large choice of material. I would pay to check with one. I had a SLK headliner recovered by one for a cost of $80.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
While you have the headliner out, I'd sure want to rebuild that front locking cylinder if it's never been done. Ten years seems to be about the time they start to spring a leak. It would be a shame to put a nice headliner in there and a month later have to replace it again because of a hydraulic leak. An extra hour time and about $15 bucks and you can DIY.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.