Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roof Leak

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  coolrunnings 
#1 ·
I know there are plenty of discussions about this on this forum. I get the impression mine is slightly different.

The driver's side window leaks when the car is moving. It seems to be OK when parked up on a rainy day. It drips quite far forward and I would guess it is from the join between the roof and the windscreen pillar seals.

Is this an easy fix that I can carry out, or does it need to go into a garage?

#2 ·
#3 ·
+1 on Jeff's suggestion for treating the rubber seals, as that really can help.

If it doesn't resolve it, then it might need a little adjustment. I haven't had to do that myself, although I'm sure I read a thread on here at some point about someone that had. It sounds like you've already done a search, but perhaps try searching for whether you can adjust the mechanism that locks the roof to the windscreen top... although I'd certainly just try some Gummi Pflege first! :tu:

#6 ·
gummi for seals
lithium grease for joints/hinges

#8 ·
Why shouldn't they honour it? Like Jeff said ,the least they could do is treat the seals with the special MB lubricant A0009893660.
Are the an MB shop? If yes, they should know how to adjust the seals.
If not, show them these 2 WIS documents and demand they carry out a proper adjustment.

Attachments

#12 ·
Well. No surprise. I have been told by the dealer that this work is not covered under the extended warranty. To be fair I rarely take what a dealer tells me seriously anyway.

He recommends Krytox. Sounds like a more expensive version of Gummi. I will read the links that you have left for me and decide what I will do next. Thanks again.

#13 ·
Krytox, to be precise Krytox GPL-105, is excellent stuff. But expensive, if not very expensive. Have a little bottle myself, to give you an idea, paid some 175 euro for it. Hard to get over here and they couldn't supply it in a smaller bottle, so I bit the bullet. I now have enough to treat every seal of every SLK I will ever own for the rest of my life.
But the MB stuff I mentioned is basically the same. Only has an MB sticker on it. My first SLK leaked, creaked and squeaked like hell. Took it back to the dealer, they treated it with that MB stuff (for free btw), and lo and behold, no more leaks,creakes or squeakes...
So yes, as others already mentioned, definitely worth trying that first.

#14 ·
Mine used to drip at the drivers window at the join...

Gummi didn't make any difference for me.

It was a very easy fix though takes 10 minutes

Partially (or fully I suppose I kept it partially so I could see the lining up of the mechanism) open roof, then wedge it with something, I used two blocks of wood.

then undo the torx screws that hold the drivers sunvisor on, and remove

This will let you carefully pull the plastic behind the sunvisor off ( you might need to loosen the cover on the A-pillar).

Behind this you will see hook that the roof clips onto, just loosen the screws and tap a little bit towards the screen (just a tiny bit as if you go too far the roof won't engage) I moved mine probably a couple of mm..

Refit your trim and visor etc....Leak gone..... reward yourself with a cuppa..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.