Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright gang, first I gotta say that I'm lucky we are forecast for clear skies for the next few days. I had the leaky lock actuator, oily headliner issue so I ordered the o-ring fix off of fleabay. Didn't look too awful, about a 2 banana job. Unfortunately, I brain farted and walked inside to grab a coke, only to find that the top retracted( I guess just bled off pressure) and partially retracted. It semi ginched the lock linkages but I think I can make them work. The pita issue is that I can not get the top to extend back to the mid-position so I can finish the o-ring replacement. I don't know if I need to pull the panel and relieve pump pressure and extend it manually or see if its low, fill it and use the motor to extend it. I have read everything on the 171 but I am in a pickle. Thoughts? Thank, Scott:frown:

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,862 Posts
After about 7 minutes the pressure on the system will release and the top will drop either forward or backward depending on where it stopped. You can then manual move the top on your own power. As you wrote the post 20 minutes ago it should have already happen.

Do a search on the broom stick to hold the top at mid point while working on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
latest

Okay, I noticed that the diagnostic window said roof in operation and then when I removed the key it switched to roof opening so I went ahead and put the roof in the open position and was able to reinitiate and get the top moving. I left the top in the mid position and was able to finish replacing the o-ring in the lock actuator and reattach the lock linkages. Of course, now the reservoir is basically depleted so I have to run to the MB dealer and get some hyd fluid. One hour drive and they are closing right now so.......stay tuned. I will get to it tomorrow. thanks for all the help guys. Great forum

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
come to our winery meet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay, update...and its not good

Okay, I was finally able to tear away and get to the MB dealer in Dothan, AL. Thats the good news, the other good news is that the actuator is no longer dripping, the bad news is that it is now SPRAYING. So......after a day or so to think about it, I ordered a new actuator and lines from Top Hydraulics. Anybody know where they hid the sticky for REPLACING the entire actuator and lines? Thanks again for all of the help. Scott:smile:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Okay, I noticed that the diagnostic window said roof in operation and then when I removed the key it switched to roof opening so I went ahead and put the roof in the open position and was able to reinitiate and get the top moving. I left the top in the mid position and was able to finish replacing the o-ring in the lock actuator and reattach the lock linkages. Of course, now the reservoir is basically depleted so I have to run to the MB dealer and get some hyd fluid. One hour drive and they are closing right now so.......stay tuned. I will get to it tomorrow. thanks for all the help guys. Great forum
I am curious about the O-Ring Replacement. From your post it sounds like this can be done with the cylinder in the car. Is it really as easy as you made it sound?

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.