Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roof Hydraulic pump questions

9K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  efair 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me if there are pressure relief ports on the hydraulic motor that would open and "leak or spray" in a pressure overload situation? I have never had a pump problem until my left trunk lid actuator developed a major leak. I am thinking that the leak,causes the pump to run excessively, over pressurizing the other side causing a Pressure relief situation. Second does anyone know where I can learn about the hydraulic pump to potentially troubleshoot it? I have scoured the internet and found no info...just places that will repair it...

#8 ·
I was not able to see where the leak was coming from, but am pretty sure it is from the side of the pump. I have the inside of the trunk all apart as I am replacing the trunk cylinders. I am wondering if there is a pressure relief system that opens in the event of an overpressure situation, as I see two silver "ports" on the side that look like two small ball valves. There seems to be very little on these sites as well as on the internet that gives more in depth info on these pumps...if it is there...I can't find it. I have sent two messages to Top Hydraulics, but they have not replied.

#9 ·
With all the lines leading off the top of the pump, I would suspect one of those lines to have cracked and leaked.

You may want to operate the top with a small gopro video camera or cell phone on record, in the truck recording the pump and lines actions during operation.

It may show the leak origination.

SLKman:tu:

#11 ·
I think that will be my next step..replace the cylinder and operate with a camera recording the events..hope the Gremlins aren't camera shy...I did talk to Klaus at Top Hydraulics. To his knowledge, there is no external pressure relief port. I am wondering if I just left the bronze pressure relief screw open that one time. Ok will get back w details...Thanks for all of your input.

#12 ·
I am bringing back from the dead this thread just to state my Baby's Blue problem here. I have leak of roof's hydraulic fluid that thankfully is not coming from any cylinder but from the metal part of a hose that connects to the pump itself. Roof is working fairly fast (for now :burnout:) but the fluid level is running low bellow mid level. That is one problem. My question to this is that can i replace the metal part that connects to the pump, or i must replace the whole line?
Second problem is that although the roof is open for good, when cruising and after going over a few bumps on the road, the roof's switch light turns on and the warning buzzer rings like the roof is not fully open. I have checked the switch under the b-pilar (passenger's side) for corrosion and sprayed a bit with anti-corrosive spray but the problem persists. Is there any way for those two probs to be related? If no then do i need a new “roof open” switch or can be repaired somehow?
Thank you in advance ,
John.

#21 ·
Hi Brad...This thread is 3 years old

plus please use the 'quote' button at the bottom of any post in the thread so we know who you are asking the question of or referencing or replying to

also:

Posting in an old thread? How to fix that.

Questions? Please ask

#22 ·
There is not much public information about the pump available - I feel your pain.

I do believe there are two pressure relief valves built into the aluminum block. There are several caps on the block besides the emergency relief - underneath these are what look to me like relief valves (spring and ball).

Without tracing all the internal passages inside the block, and without knowing how the actuators redirect the fluid, it's impossible to say how the pump and the relief valves work. Maybe some day in my spare time...

Seals always leak at least some, no matter how good they are, but the idea is that leakage should be imperceptible. Plus you don't normally pressurize these for more than a few seconds. If either of these don't hold true, you might see some leakage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.