Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver's side roof actuator was leaking hydraulic fluid. I replaced the o-ring. Put everything back together. Filled up the reservoir with the correct type of hydraulic fluid. Now the roof will not open on its own. I have to give it a push to open it. It retracts back into the trunk like it is supposed too. Everything seems to work. The trunk closes and I am ready to go. However, when I try to put the roof back up it comes out of the trunk ok and when the roof is overhead it drops like a rock into locking position. Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? Or how to fix this? The roof was working properly before I replaced the o-ring. Thanks
1998 SLK230

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,142 Posts
Is the emergency relief valve fully closed? Try opening and re-closing it. And you're sure there's no other leaks, even small? It sounds like the pump is generating slightly below full pressure - like the pressure is marginal at the extreme. The roof actuators do the heaviest lifting, and it's at its heaviest during the first few inches of motion.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You have some air in the system. That will get 'flushed' out with more operation. You will probably have to give the roof a push the next several times.
This happened to me when I replaced my leaking cylinders.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,443 Posts
Check the latch release did you reinstall that the cables releases the latch correctly. Remove the headliner and operate the top. It has been known that the cables are not releasing the latches and takes a little push on the top to release it fully.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I agree with dedgar, you just need to wait for the air to be flushed out of the system seeing how you just rebuilt cylinder. It should get better with each operation.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roof Hydraulic Problem

Is the emergency relief valve fully closed? Try opening and re-closing it. And you're sure there's no other leaks, even small? It sounds like the pump is generating slightly below full pressure - like the pressure is marginal at the extreme. The roof actuators do the heaviest lifting, and it's at its heaviest during the first few inches of motion.
I doubled check the relief valve and made sure it was closed. There are no leaks. I have opened and closed the roof at least 25 times and still have the same problem.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have some air in the system. That will get 'flushed' out with more operation. You will probably have to give the roof a push the next several times.
This happened to me when I replaced my leaking cylinders.
Thanks. I have raised and lowered the roof about 15 times without success. I checked the relief valve to make sure it is closed and there appears to be no leaks in the system. I'll keep trying to bleed the system.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the latch release did you reinstall that the cables releases the latch correctly. Remove the headliner and operate the top. It has been known that the cables are not releasing the latches and takes a little push on the top to release it fully.
The roof assembly works fine. It locks and unlocks fine. I just have to give the roof a little push before the roof automatically retracts. I only replaced the o-ring on the drivers side actuator. I'll keep trying to bleed the system.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with dedgar, you just need to wait for the air to be flushed out of the system seeing how you just rebuilt cylinder. It should get better with each operation.
Thanks. I'll keep trying the flush the air out of the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.