Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
Cayman are in Redhill, Surrey not a billion miles but there are 3 very good MB Indie's in Kent ;)

Edited due to prior brain fart 馃ぃ

(y)

OK, I'll edit the post, in my defence it was early and I wasn't fully awake :ROFLMAO:

*Registered
2001 SLK230
The fact you can go in both directions, as long as you dont fully open, suggests the valves and pump are all OK. You need a good scanner that can read the roof module. That said, I will venture a guess you have a broken wire in the hinge area of your boot lid.
I agree, there's probably a ground missing at the N10-3 module from one of the switches. Hopefully the OP can get a good scan and get the DTC, until then, here's few things to check.

You stated that the roof opens OK with no problems, but when you try to close the roof the roof switch flashes. The first thing I would check, with the roof closed, is the S69/9 trunk open switch. You should be able to stick your right hand fingers down into the brushes and feel the plastic toggle, it should move towards the rear and return.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

With the trunk open, check the S69/11 roof open/lowered switch. You can look in there to see if it's fully seated, and also push in the contact lever with a long screw driver to verify it's at least operating and returning.
White Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Automotive wheel system

Next, with the roof completely open, open the trunk and make sure the partition is still operating the switch and not being pushed or deformed by the roof panel, thereby releasing the switch.

I haven't experienced worn/broken wires on mine, but I found a bad factory cable installation on my roof panel when I removed my headliner to remove the front hydraulic cylinder. I corrected it when I re-installed the cables.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Vehicle door

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle

*Registered
2000 SLK230
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks efair and slk230red. So what you are saying is there is no point plugging in to computer for fault codes as none are generated by roof mechanism.
With the boot closed, how am I going to get to the hinge switches to test ? Also where is N10-3 module ?

So what you are saying is there is no point plugging in to computer for fault codes as none are generated by roof mechanism.
No, what he is saying is that a lot of times a proper and good diagnosis involves looking at data , and in this instance it may not give codes (depending on the exact fault) !!

I have seen codes for certain faults, one of which was showing a bad Pump Solenoid, that turned out to be a bad Wire and was verified by swapping the Solenoid plug with the other Solenoid and as I still got the same fault showing it was almost certain that the wiring was bad .......... Further work revealed yes it was, found the issue and rectified the bad bit of wiring ;)

This is why SDS is needed, SDS is way more than just a Code Reader / Resetter ;)

*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
Thanks efair and slk230red. So what you are saying is there is no point plugging in to computer for fault codes as none are generated by roof mechanism.
With the boot closed, how am I going to get to the hinge switches to test ? Also where is N10-3 module ?
It is very likely there are no codes. The roof module can generate and store codes, like any module, but when the common switch problems occur there are no codes stored. So you have to fall back to actual diagnostics, which is only possible with either a good SDS or equivalent tool, or a labor-intensive session with a VOM.

*Registered
2001 SLK230
I was just suggesting to check the S69/9 and S69/11 switches, with the roof raised, trunk open, to make sure they are still intact and at least have operating toggles.
And the S69/10 switch with roof down, trunk open to make sure the partition screen is still keeping the switch closed.

N10-3 Module, bottom one in photo.
Circuit component Computer hardware Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Electronic component

*Registered
2000 SLK230
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks.
This give a list of cables going to the POWER TOPS SYSTEM. If there anything that correlates the colours of the wires with the units of the roof system ?

anything that correlates the colours of the wires with the units of the roof system ?
The Colours of the Wires are marked on the Diagrams.

For example ....

Page 12 of 1998 SLK 230 WD

Pin 4 Red

Pin 5 Brown

Pin 33 Grey / Pink

Pin 34 White /Green

This one below will explain what goes where (Correlate)

Or on Page 72 of the 2002 SLK 320 WD

Pin 4 Red

Pin 28 White / Violet

Pin 32 Green / Black

etc etc etc ............ You are doing the job, you have to find which diagram suits what you need ;)

*Registered
1999 SLK230
I have read around the forum and still struggling.

Have an SLK170 230 comp from 1999

Roof opens fine. If I stop the roof half-way down it all goes back up ok.

If the roof is full open and I press the roof button it just flashes without any attempts to do anything.
Have changed relay but I am thinking that most of the electrics and the pump must be working ok for it to close when half open.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what is causing this?

Thanks
Sounds like a limit switch problem. Check the one for the cover in the trunk.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts