Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
*Registered
2000 SLK230
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read around the forum and still struggling.

Have an SLK170 230 comp from 1999

Roof opens fine. If I stop the roof half-way down it all goes back up ok.

If the roof is full open and I press the roof button it just flashes without any attempts to do anything.
Have changed relay but I am thinking that most of the electrics and the pump must be working ok for it to close when half open.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what is causing this?

Thanks

·
Founding Member 2006
114,399 Posts
1st, never reverse the way the roof is going
always let it finish its full travel, up or down

you are just confusing it

·
Founding Member 2006
114,399 Posts
was engine running?

·
Founding Member 2006
114,399 Posts
see roof button blinking link above

·
Founding Member 2006
114,399 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
114,399 Posts
i am notifying one of our roof experts to this/your thread :D

·
*Registered
2000 SLK230
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I came to the same conclusion about the valves and pump. Also the sensors. Thanks for the suggestion about boot wire. There are the two manual release cables. What other wires are you thinking of?

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK320
2,308 Posts
efair is not talking about the release cables. There are electrical wires that run from the boot up into the roof. Obviously, with the roof having to move, these wires flex everytime the roof operates and it's not uncommon for one to break. In fact, it sometimes happens that the copper breaks while the PVC insulation doesn't,making it a bit more difficult to find the break. Because the wire moves with the roof sometimes it makes contact and sometimes it doesn't.

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,685 Posts
I will venture a guess you have a broken wire in the hinge area of your boot lid.
That would be my best guess too.

A good scanner,
Regarding Diagnostic Machines ....
SDS is almost the only machine that will access the VR system and a lot of the other systems on R170 .

The only others that just maybe just might will cost way more than £5k, my £5k Snap On, my Delphi (£1.5k), and my Autel Pro (£2k) generic (all makes) machines won't go near it and many other systems on this generation of MB's.

I'm talking the likes of high end garage businesses that have top level machines such as £10k (per vehicle make) Autologic, or perhaps Bosck KTS generics :eek:

For DIY and small businesses like myself a Clone SDS at circa £500 - 600 is the one to buy for these Cars, it's a no brainer ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5 and GP1007
1 - 20 of 40 Posts