Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roof has recently started really creaking and cracking. it ahppened before and a little wd40 helped but it is really bad now and REALLY annoying me!
should i bring it to my dealer and ask them to have a look at it or am i better buying an aftermarket grease?
any help appreciated.....:tu:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Peter, a little silicon oil and you can sleep again :tu:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Gero....i asuume it is easily come across.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
If it's still under the manufacturer's warranty, then I would bring it in. They usually apply some thick clear grease on some of the metal parts in addition to the special rubber seal lubricant, and they test drive after the lubrication. The Mercedes Benz service dep't. had me test drive for a good 30 minutes and made sure that I was satisfied with their service/fix.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I bought a bottle of the stuff. A bit on the pricey side but figured I would rather have it vs. carrying it in everytime I heard an issue.

A 000 989 36 60

30ml for something like $50usd. It is much cheaper on oempartsdirect.com

But yeah the first time I had my dealer apply it to the header seal above the windshield where it meets the roof and wow at the difference.

·
19,400 Posts
There's another part no. A 001 989 50 51, states lubricant for seals (rubber)

·
19,400 Posts
Hmm ok. This just says something about sliding grease on the bottle. Maybe the other is cheaper.
Knowing MB, I don't think this will be any cheaper at all. :)

·
19,400 Posts
I just checked OEM parts Direct -- MSRP USD$43.50, OEM Parts Direct price USD $35.67, describes it only as grease.

·
19,400 Posts
Hmmm, come to think of it. It may be a good idea to have one handy and to use on the seals maybe once a month or every 2 months as maintenance.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys... my car is under warranty so i will drop it down for an hour to get it greased.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok im booked in next thursday the 9th. dealer said keep it for one day so getting a courtesy car. all free as it is warranty work. apparantly a few have been in for same thing. something to do with our weather being so wet one day then sunny the next, all the expanding and contracting of metal making it slightly out of line.
wonder what courtesy car i will get?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think the only loaners my local dealer has is 07 C230 sports. Nice ride but a few HP short of the 55. It is strange the dratic differences in driving them. I mean things like the C takes a lot of pedal to get it our of lathargic (sp?) mode and the tranny fights you to downshift. Brakes are also a bit different but I think this is mainly due to how aggressivly the 55 downshifts when brakeing.

Anyway enjoy your time in another ride and that grease stuff works awsome.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does SL have the same problems as we have?
I had my dealer fix that for me like 3 months ago, but I can feel that it's coming back again.
I guess there is no way to get off it totally, beside get a different car. SL ???

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah I had my windshield header seal done when I first got my car about 3.5mo ago (used) and I can hear it again. Going to try to work on it one day this week. That is one reason I just got the bottle of stuff rather than having to leave my car overnight with the dealer 4 times a year.

May have something to do with how much you use the top or the rather blistering hot climate I have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.