Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have an '01 SLK 320, ~ 48k miles. For the first time last night, when I pressed the roof close button forward to close the roof, the button flashed slowly red and would not close the roof (the cover was in place in the trunk). I tried several times and thought I was gonna have to garage it with the roof down - I live in rural PA where it rains about every 5 minutes. As a last ditch effort, I turned off the key, pulled it out, put it back in, restarted the car, and then the roof closed without difficulty. Since I'm not a believer in magic, I'm assuming there's some actuator or something that is going bad but I've been unable to find info on it, including from the dealership mechanic. Thought I'd check here. Thanks!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,657 Posts
You check the thread in the r170 diy section that has the title roof button blinking?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I didn't, and I still don't see it under the stickies section. I did a forum search and still didn't see it, that's why I asked here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, now I see it under the different forum section. Doesn't appear to be the same situation, as I had no beeping nor hit any potholes or anything along those lines - top has been working fine until that odd occurrence last night which cleared with simply removing and replacing the key.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I do not think this isolated issue means you have a cylinder going out. I think the system was in a state that confused it and when you switched the power it was reset and able to operate, almost like magic :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha gotcha - I'll keep an eye on it, and hopefully won't end up getting a nice cold shower on the way home from work some day! Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you don't see anything leaking in the trunk, feel your headliner. It could be leaking up there and soaking in. In the meantime, learn how to close the top manually. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.